 Marketplace / Theory / 2745
Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 04:59:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Gregory wrote:
   I had never heard of Avatar the Last Airbender. I’ve never seen a commercial, book, show, comic, movie preview or toy for this thing. Does anyone have any idea why LEGO thinks this will be a successful venture? It appears to be a really random choice.

It’s not random at all. TLC didn’t have to go out of their way to pick up this property because it falls under the Nickelodeon license. And currently it is, IIRC, the number one primetime show for children 2-11. So while AFoLs may not have heard of Avatar before this, you can bet a large portion of TLCs target audience know about and watch the show.

And what on earth is an “airbender” anyway? Bending air doesn’t make any sense.

David “Fuzzy” Gregory

I’ve only seen part of one show, but my understanding is this - the world of Avatar is divided into four nations, each aligned with one of the four elements (earth, air, fire and water). Some individuals can ‘bend’ (control/manipulate) the element of the nation that they are from.

HTH,

Ken