 Marketplace / Theory / 2743

Subject:
New "Last Airbender" sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.year.2006
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 00:06:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I haven’t read any of the Harry Potter books, but through popular culture I know all about the storylines. I can see why making the Harry Potter sets was a good idea for LEGO.

Everyone knows about Star Wars. Millions of fans worldwide but non-LEGO Star Wars toys, so it was a great move for LEGO to produce the Star Wars sets.

I don’t read DC Comics, but I know all about Spiderman and Batman. They’ve both been around so long, that they’re common super heroes.

I don’t watch Nickelodian, but I see Dora the Explorer and Spongebob everywhere, and I know about the nontitle characters in their shows.

Until I heard about the new LEGO sets due out this summer, I had never heard of Avatar the Last Airbender. I’ve never seen a commercial, book, show, comic, movie preview or toy for this thing. Does anyone have any idea why LEGO thinks this will be a successful venture? It appears to be a really random choice.

And what on earth is an “airbender” anyway? Bending air doesn’t make any sense.

David “Fuzzy” Gregory

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
In lugnet.market.theory, David Gregory wrote:
   And what on earth is an “airbender” anyway? Bending air doesn’t make any sense.

Maybe they’re bending that poisonous space air.

ROSCO

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
In lugnet.market.theory, David Gregory wrote:
   I had never heard of Avatar the Last Airbender. I’ve never seen a commercial, book, show, comic, movie preview or toy for this thing. Does anyone have any idea why LEGO thinks this will be a successful venture? It appears to be a really random choice.

It’s not random at all. TLC didn’t have to go out of their way to pick up this property because it falls under the Nickelodeon license. And currently it is, IIRC, the number one primetime show for children 2-11. So while AFoLs may not have heard of Avatar before this, you can bet a large portion of TLCs target audience know about and watch the show.

And what on earth is an “airbender” anyway? Bending air doesn’t make any sense.

David “Fuzzy” Gregory

I’ve only seen part of one show, but my understanding is this - the world of Avatar is divided into four nations, each aligned with one of the four elements (earth, air, fire and water). Some individuals can ‘bend’ (control/manipulate) the element of the nation that they are from.

HTH,

Ken

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
[...]

As I’ve heard from my colleagues, this is a fairly new phenomenon, but is just that. Apparently this show is one of the highest rated cartoons around. I too hadn’t heard of it, but of course, I don’t follow such things...Saturday morning cartoons come a bit too early now :)

   And what on earth is an “airbender” anyway? Bending air doesn’t make any sense.

Of course the same could be said for Power Rangers, Pokemon, a talking duck, a dog that walks upright, or a galaxy far far away....

:)

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Team

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
In lugnet.market.theory, Jake McKee wrote:
[...]

The show is amazing. Anyone who hasn’t seen it, oughta. I recommend netflixing the DVDs as they are available. Unlike Galidor, Avatar is the real deal and totally worth it to watch and enjoy. It is about as good as the old-school Animated Batman episodes from the mid-1990s (which were arguable the best serious-cartoons ever made). The kung-fu in the show is really cool - each “bending” has its own kung-fu style, and they are well animated. As an extra bonus, George Takai lends his voice to some of the characters, and it also features the guy who voices Aku from Samurai Jack.

I’d seriously recommend using TLG’s latest license as an excuse to get to know more about this show.

-Lenny

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
Yeah, it puzzles me as well. However, both this and Exo-Force are very anime influenced, and so maybe that is the larger trend LEGO is trying to tap into. Maybe also these are part of a move to increase market share in Japan?

Anyway, from the looks of one of the leaked sets and some of the characters, this could be a useful line for castle fans, so I’ll probably get some of it.

Bruce

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
In lugnet.market.theory, David Gregory wrote:

   I had never heard of Avatar the Last Airbender. I’ve never seen a commercial, book, show, comic, movie preview or toy for this thing. Does anyone have any idea why LEGO thinks this will be a successful venture?

I myself have never sat through an episode of the show, but my 8 y/o son loves the show, and so do all of his friends. I’m guessing that he is more of the market that the product is aimed at.

jt

Re: New "Last Airbender" sets
[...]

I came across this cartoon by channel stumbling Sat. morning with my 7 yr old a couple of months ago and don’t miss an episode now. I’m very suprised they chose this program to base a line on and going to be watching how well it does. I probably won’t be getting any of the sets as it smells like it will be a timetwisters or alphateam sort of mix a bunch of old elements in a new old fashioned way, and I’ll pick up any stray new elements on bricklink. It just dosn’t seem like much of a new element generator like starwars or harry potter is, which is what I get more excited over rather than the actual liscense property.

It’s a good cartoon, with a clean well drawn style and a funny take on the hero’s journey that is engaging enough to keep my attention and cool enough to hook my kids, I think it’s one of the best cartoons on and probably the best on Sat. morning!

When I first found out about this line was at our local lug meet and a friend mentioning that 3 new liscences, Batman, Spongebob and ‘some other one, can’t remember’ which was the general concensus at the table. So it’s probably not well known among the older set but then it’s not really for us right ;-)

cheers, Joseph