 Local / United Kingdom / 2203
2202  |  2204
Subject:
Thumbnail images (was: Re: FreeNetnames comes up trumps!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:50:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, "Huw Millington" <hmillington@cix.co.uk> writes:
Richard Franks <spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote in message...
I'm curious though why it duplicates a lot of the pause database - is
there a reason or is it for the fun of it? (A valid reason as any!)
Or is it to show the alternate design interface, which works really well
btw!

'Because I can' :-) Just for the hell of it, really. While I respect Pause
as an information source, I don't find the interface to my liking.

Me neither -- it's just a placeholder...but it's getting kind of stale, as
you point out.  :-)

A lot of people say they like the thubnailed list presentation, which Pause
does not offer.

Wow, I didn't know that thumbnails were such a desired feature!  When
someone goes through all the trouble of implementing something like that in
another form, it's a pretty strong sign that it's a desired feature.  :-)

Kudos to Huw for doing the right thing (giving people features they want),
and my apologies to everyone for not having enabled thumbnail displays in
the Pause DB earlier...here it is with thumbnails, but it's still with the
same old boxy format -- nowhere near as pretty as Huw's new display:

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?theme=TECHNIC

   http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?theme=Fabuland

Also another design goal was to have high quality scans of
instruction covers for all the images - some of the Pause ones are from
catalogues, which I don't like.

I never liked that much either, but I thought what Lou did was still
incredibly amazing!  Blows me away even today, when I think about it:
I'd always been hoping someday to scan all the sets in high-res and high-
quality in the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide format, and Lou just went ahead and
scanned catalogs -- which are infinitely better than nothing at all.

About 95% of non-promotional sets have been
scanned by myself or Grahame from paper copies we own, or taken fron
Brickshelf.

Whew! -- That's awesome!  I remember what it's like to scan a lot of sets
and how crazy and time consuming it can get.  :-)  One day back in 1996,
I scanned 200 Space and......man.......it must've taken me 20 hours straight
one weekend with a 12-pack of Coke and no sleep.  Then, the next day, I went
back for more punishment and scanned the Aquazone sets (but there weren't
many at the time).  MargoK and PaulV also scanned a zillion Castle sets too
for the FLG...  Ahh, memories.  :-)

--Todd