 Local / United Kingdom / 2156
2155  |  2157
Subject:
FreeNetnames comes up trumps!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:24:16 GMT

It seems almost too good to be true, but by signing up for
freenetnames.co.uk internet access you do indeed get a .co.uk or org.uk
domain name for free! There are a few conditions (log on every 90 days, no
porn on your site, that sort of thing) but nothing too controversial.

The actual ISP service seems OK, EXCEPT that as soon as you attempt to
connect to a NNTP (like lugnet) or POP server other than  its own, it
disconnects you!

Still, you are not obliged to use it, except for reading mail to your
freenetnames.co.uk address (1) and uploading to the web server.

So, I have registered http://www.brickset.co.uk and put a single frames page
on their server which calls up pages from my  LEGO database hosted by
Pinnacle on their NT server

I have also totally redesigned the site, hopefully for the better, so all
readers of loc.uk are welcome to come and give it a test drive before I
announce it live and remove the old front end.

The new pages use cascading style sheets which, I have just found out to my
annoyance, Netscape does not support properly. When using this browser, it
is not obvious what is a link and what is not, because it has recognised the
CSS command not to underline them, but has not coloured them blue! (if
anyone had any experience in these matters, please get in touch!). I think
the 'quick search' box is too small on Netscape, too.
If you notice any other anomalies with other platforms, please let me know.
I'll try and address them before going live.

So without further ado, surf over to www.brickset.co.uk and let me know what
you think!

Note to US readers: I registered the domain at 22:00 GMT yesterday. They
claim it may take 24 hours to filter round the 'net, so if the above link is
broken, but you are itching to see my new efforts, go to
http://nt1.pncl.co.uk/huw/new

Huw

(1) which for me now will be ...@brickset.co.uk