 Local / Nippon / *198 (-10)
Subject:
LEGO documentary on TV this Saturday (Hong Kong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:42:08 GMT

Hi, everyone...

A documentary called “Lovemarks-LEGO” will be broadcast for the first time this weekend. I was originally told it was going to be a full-length film about people’s passions towards brands like LEGO, IKEA, Starbucks (etc), but it seems it has been shortened to a half hour and will deal only with LEGO. (Maybe?)

Lovemarks - LEGO
Channel 51, Horizon
Saturday September 30th
8:30 p.m. (20:30)
Hong Kong

The documentary was filmed by Fuji TV in Hong Kong, but it may also run in other countries that have Fuji TV, or on extended satellite networks.

Last year, the filmmakers filmed a live model-build and interviewed both Nathan Sawaya and I as part of the documentary. They said they’d also interviewed other folks around the world, including folks from TLG.

Sean
- - -
LEGO Certified Professional
www.seankenney.com

Subject:
LEGO events at Worldcon 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:38:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Since I’ve successfully run LEGO-based events at the Philcon SF/F convention for the past three years, I’ve been asked to investigate doing the same for the 65th World Science Fiction Convention -- Nippon2007, the first Worldcon to be held in Japan, in August of next year. But I need your suggestions and tips! Thanks for your help, everybody; and remember, this is still a feasibility study.

Who? First I’d have to locate American (etc.) AFOLs planning to attend. Japanese AFOLdom can contribute even if its members don’t attend -- they can mail-in MOCs (assuming I get some assistance with Japanese parcel post). But actually contacting Japanese builders is, we all know, difficult. (I can get recruitment announcements posted via the website and hardcopy progress reports.)

What events? An exhibit is easiest, with MOCs provided by Japanese and overseas attendees. An open build would be trickier to organize, because a parts supply would be needed -- and although I happily loan mine to Philcon, and the Worldcon will be shipping a bunch of stuff from the U.S., I’m not in a rush to send my own pieces halfway around the globe.

What theme? It’s an SF convention, and it’s in Japan, so the most obvious models would be mecha -- replicas and original designs. But fans everywhere build everything, so there’s really no “distinctive local flavor” to that -- is there? Models inspired by the author and artist GoHs (guests of honor) would be topical -- that’ll require some research.

(Obviously fantasy castles? “Final Fantasy”- and “Miyazaki”-esque flying contraptions? Gojira & Co.? Mindstorms robots?)

Where? Any suggestions as to where else I should make this announcement? Mecha Hub and Classic Space are the first that come to mind.

Followups to DelVaLUG since that’s my home club, and it’s low-traffic. Other discussion elsewhere as necessary.

Subject:
The Japan Premiere of Joe Vig
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:20:35 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Announcing the premiere of Joe Vig... to Japan!

In the image, the Japanese characters in black read “Bonyari Bouzu”, which means “Oblivious guy”.
The red characters read “Joo Viggu” (where “Joo” - with a long ‘o’ - sounds much like his English name “Joe”).

There are many famous vignette builders from Japan, but until now Joe Vig has been mysteriously absent in their work. The only logical explanation for this is the language barrier.

To overcome this obstacle, I have been working with Andrew Becraft of Pan-Pacific Bricks to translate the Official Joe Vig page into Japanese. Andrew quickly made the translation, and contacted Japanese builder, Izzo for his take on it.

Izzo must have been quite intrigued with the Joe Vig phenomenon, since he quickly built and posted FOUR Joe Vig vignettes!

Without further ado, here is the Japanese version of the Official Joe Vig page!

We hope to see many new and interesting Joe Vig vignettes from our fellow builders in Japan!!

Enjoy!
“Big Daddy” Nelson

Subject:
Shinkansen 700T - Taiwanese model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:57:42 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Well, after recieving an email from John Barnes with a pic of a Shinkansen, I decided that I had to have a go at one. Wanting a quick build I decided to go for the 700T the Taiwanese released Shinkansen. See it here.

BS gallery

Sorry, there’s no high quality render this time. MPD available on request.

Hope you like it and please give me feedback.

Tim

Subject:
Japan Rail EF64
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:10:47 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

Just uploaded another train, this time a Japanese EF64. This had been sitting on my computer for ages as I had a couple of problems with it, one of which was the door which I’ve now fixed using the fence offsetting techniques discussed recently (yay for fences, see here!).

The image clicks through to a high quality render.

BS Gallery

The train is BoBoBo and features a very basic BoBoBo frame which you can see in the included MPD. Thanks must go to the person whose panto design I ripped off (sorry, can’t remember the model or the builder :( )

Any comments appreciated!

Tim

Re: Contact information for Sugegasa?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:04:55 GMT

In lugnet.people, Mark Neumann wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Hi all,

Does anyone know how to contact the builder with the brickshelf ID Sugegasa? I’m sure everyone in .mecha knows his work very well.

Bruce

Let us know if you have any luck Bruce. Getting a hold of the Japanese builders can be a challenge.

His weblog is here.(Japanese font set needed)

http://blog.kansai.com/sugegasasugegasa

I’ve tried to leave a comment to his weblog that you wanted to contact him.

## ayucow/Ayumi Hayase

Subject:
Contact information for Sugegasa?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:29:36 GMT

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to contact the builder with the brickshelf ID Sugegasa? I’m sure everyone in .mecha knows his work very well.

Bruce

Subject:
Military MOCs in LMO -- WWII Russian Tanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.jp
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:34:04 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello everyone!

Last weekend(Sep.10-11),a special event for AFOLs was held in Tokyo,called "LMO
JAPAN 2005".
About 40 Japanese AFOLs with MOCs(military,mecha,town,space,train, etc...)
gathered from all over the Japan.

I brought several MOCs following for this meeting.

SU-122

Mini T-34

Pull-back moterized and deformed Sd.kfz222

===
A lot of photos of this event will be uploaded to brickshelf in this or next
week by participants.(New diretory "LMO200
5" may be created.)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LMO-JAPAN

What's LMO(by Kotaro Ono)
http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=27977

# Ayumi Hayase/ayucow

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Cycle 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.hk
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:35:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

X-Posted to .loc.au/nz/jp/hk in the hopes that this will spur more people from the region into applying

Although more people applying would be nice to see, the real requirement is better people applying.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Fine, I’ve removed .nz from the crossposting.

Tim

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Cycle 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.nz, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.hk
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:50:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

X-Posted to .loc.au/nz/jp/hk in the hopes that this will spur more people from the region into applying

Although more people applying would be nice to see, the real requirement is better people applying.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact