 Events / 1832
1831  |  1833
Subject:
LEGO events at Worldcon 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:38:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Since I’ve successfully run LEGO-based events at the Philcon SF/F convention for the past three years, I’ve been asked to investigate doing the same for the 65th World Science Fiction Convention -- Nippon2007, the first Worldcon to be held in Japan, in August of next year. But I need your suggestions and tips! Thanks for your help, everybody; and remember, this is still a feasibility study.

Who? First I’d have to locate American (etc.) AFOLs planning to attend. Japanese AFOLdom can contribute even if its members don’t attend -- they can mail-in MOCs (assuming I get some assistance with Japanese parcel post). But actually contacting Japanese builders is, we all know, difficult. (I can get recruitment announcements posted via the website and hardcopy progress reports.)

What events? An exhibit is easiest, with MOCs provided by Japanese and overseas attendees. An open build would be trickier to organize, because a parts supply would be needed -- and although I happily loan mine to Philcon, and the Worldcon will be shipping a bunch of stuff from the U.S., I’m not in a rush to send my own pieces halfway around the globe.

What theme? It’s an SF convention, and it’s in Japan, so the most obvious models would be mecha -- replicas and original designs. But fans everywhere build everything, so there’s really no “distinctive local flavor” to that -- is there? Models inspired by the author and artist GoHs (guests of honor) would be topical -- that’ll require some research.

(Obviously fantasy castles? “Final Fantasy”- and “Miyazaki”-esque flying contraptions? Gojira & Co.? Mindstorms robots?)

Where? Any suggestions as to where else I should make this announcement? Mecha Hub and Classic Space are the first that come to mind.

Followups to DelVaLUG since that’s my home club, and it’s low-traffic. Other discussion elsewhere as necessary.