 Local / Australia / 11746
Re: Dear Australian AFOL's...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:14:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Michael Dallaston wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown wrote:
(A lot...)

Oh Mel, there just aren't enough of us to fill the space... only about 30 or so
by the last Roll Call :(  So no Brickfest-type event for us unless we get
more... and probably no interest from official dudes either :(

Hey, the Danish fan group is having their first Brickfest type event next month
for about the same amount of people. Not trying to start a competition or
anything, just sayin....

:)

So what do you mean, no interest from official dudes? I'm official, and I'm
interested! But really, who cares? You do what you do because you love it, not
because of what we think... right?

Well, if you wanted to come along, I'm sure many of us would love to meet you ;)

So how do you spread the message?  Well, I think public displays are the only
way, stuff like the train shows.  Are there more/other ways we can show our
skillz off to the general public?  Any other venues that would like a Lego
display?  No idea :P

Displays are terrific, of course, and you don't have to do huge ones. I know
tons of groups that do small 2 person displays as well as large, all club
displays.

What about getting the word out via other Australian community sites? For
instance, if you think that comic book fans in AUS would be interested, jump on
a discussion board and point them to your Web site.

Or drop flyers in hobby shops, local toy stores, college campuses, etc.

OK, enough of my butting in now. :)

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Hey... it was just a dream.... but doesn't mean dreams can't come true, right?
Given that I've said sometime next year, gives people plenty of time to organise
stuff and sort some things out.

So what if there are only a handful of us.  That means there is a handful of us
who would each participate in this and do it for us and the public... it's the
public who are the audience and we, who show our stuff... of course we could
have one special night where it's just for special invited fans, an after party
for those old enough etc... and the rest for the public.  Something like this
would have to have an admission price, since you don't just want simple things
happening, but rather something to actually attract people to come along (I have
loads of ideas)...

It's how it's organized with how it turns out.  It's who you bring along, with
how it turns out... don't just look at our meets and think it's just us and this
is how many turn up, but think more of how many turn up to the displays/shows
that LEGO put on...
Advertising in many ways, from finding special permission in various places (you
go to Uni Michael... put up flyers... I'm sure those interested in Mindstorms
and Robotics etc would come along and even to schools who use this stuff), to
asking if LEGO AU would include a flyer or so in their next addition of their
wonderful World Club Mag ;)  Maybe if it was organized well enough and somewhat
exciting enough, people from neighbouring countries may want to come along,
etc... right Ed? ;) If it was big enough and there were enough to encourage some
of the big guys from LEGO etc, then maybe we can convince some to come along and
support us...

There is so much that can be done, so much that hasn't been done, and just
because in population we are a small country, doesn't mean it can't be done...
never say never!!! this is a great way to get people interested in LEGO or to
bring them out of the closet, by coming along and talking to the actual fans
too... it's us who would convince them into knowing it was 'ok' to bring out
their 'toys' again ;).  It also brings imagination into the younger kids who may
turn up... not just with what LEGO might want to show, but what other fans may
want to show...

It's not such a bad idea... not really... and I'd say that something like this
would have to be in Sydney, since it's the best destination for such an event.
And don't forget, advertisement comes out in many ways... it's what we put into
it with what we'd get out of it...

It can be done!!!

Dreaming on...

Mel

(There's bricks in my bed, there's bricks in my head)