 LEGOLAND / Billund / *114 (-20)
Re: Massive Stadium Revealed at LEGOLand Billund
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.billund, Todd Thuma wrote:
Anyone that has been to LEGOLand in Billund knows they had a giant stadium model
on display. Well, it appears that they have upgraded to a new model.

A friend passed me this link from Ezprezzo:

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/lego-arena.html

I am extremely impressed and the model is massive. Does anyone know what the
largest single model is? Is this close to the record or does it exceed it?

Hi Todd,

That is the Allianz Arena, and it is indeed very impressive, but I believe it is
on display at Legoland Deutschland, not Billund:

ROSCO

Subject:
Massive Stadium Revealed at LEGOLand Billund
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:02:22 GMT

Anyone that has been to LEGOLand in Billund knows they had a giant stadium model
on display. Well, it appears that they have upgraded to a new model.

A friend passed me this link from Ezprezzo:

http://www.ezprezzo.com/crazypics/lego-arena.html

I am extremely impressed and the model is massive. Does anyone know what the
largest single model is? Is this close to the record or does it exceed it?

Todd

Re: LEGOLAND sold to Blackstone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.legoland.deutschland, lugnet.legoland.windsor, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:04:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
   It has just been announced on the Danish news, that LEGO sold 70% of the shares in the four Legoland Parks to American investment company Blackstone.

They will now be placed in Merlin Entertainment Group, together with the parks Sea Life, Earth Explorer and Dungeons.

Arne, Copenhagen

(crossposting to the various Legoland groups)

This looks like it will be good news - by reading this article:

it looks like there may be new parks in the future and they want to make the park destination resorts - so this is good news.

The offical Lego PR can be found here:
http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail&contentid=15584&countrycode=2057

but hey - as long as they keep the Commemorative Brick program at LLCA and FIX the fabrik machine at LLD I will be a happy man ;)

Mark P
http://www.promobricks.com

(FUT .legoland)

Subject:
Pick-a-brick, Billund - Pricing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:32:37 GMT

What are the Pick-a-brick prices in Legoland, Billund (as of this summer), and
what are the prices for mixed bricks - all sold in the Brick Shop?

What kinds of boxes/cups/bags are available (sizes)?
Is everything sold by weight or volume, or both?

I'll be there next week, and I'm trying to prepare both myself and my credit
card. :)

Thanks

Re: LEGO Inside Tour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:54:34 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
I was looking for postings to LUGNET about the LEGO Inside Tour and have found
nothing. So, I decided to post a few details and send you off to previous posts
at LEGO Fan.org.

First, I attended the first LEGO Inside Tour on May 26, 27, and 28 of 2005 and
it was fantastic. Another group is about to go and I wish them the same if not
better tour than we got.

I posted some rather long posts on LEGO Fan.org in the Forums area:

http://www.legofan.org/FORUMS/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=51

Todd,

The LEGO Fan tour descriptions are great! Thanks for all the effort writing
those so the rest of us could glimpse the LIT. I've also been looking through
the terrific BrickShelf folders.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see photos of the LIT exclusive kit. Any photos and
descriptions would really be appreciated. Thanks.

John

Subject:
LEGO Inside Tour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:37:05 GMT

I was looking for postings to LUGNET about the LEGO Inside Tour and have found
nothing. So, I decided to post a few details and send you off to previous posts
at LEGO Fan.org.

First, I attended the first LEGO Inside Tour on May 26, 27, and 28 of 2005 and
it was fantastic. Another group is about to go and I wish them the same if not
better tour than we got.

I posted some rather long posts on LEGO Fan.org in the Forums area:

http://www.legofan.org/FORUMS/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=51

Never having been to Europe I had some trepidation at traveling. All of my fears
and anxiety was dissuaded by a terrific expereince. In fact, I am considering a
three park tour next year during a week or 2 of travel to Denmark, Germany, and
Great Britian.

There were so many great aspects to the trip that it is hard to narrow down to
just one or two things to share with you all. I would have to say, for the sake
of brevity, that the 2 best parts were talking to Kjeld and hearing some company
secrets and getting to rummage through the Element Shop in the Designers
Offices. I can truely say that Kjeld is a child at heart still in love with the
product his father and grandfather developed over the years. And from the
historical display, a part of the tour, it is easy to see the impact that Kjeld
had on the LEGO Company over his tenure.

What is there to say about the Element Shop. Imagine going into a warehouse
bigger than a 4 car garage and being able to browse the stack and leave with a
couple hand fulls of parts. Too cool for words!

With the ownership or rather the control of the parks up for sale, it is not
clear if there will be a third go around at the LEGO Inside Tour. Let's hope
they make it an annual experience that can be shared by LEGO Fans and Families
in the future.

Todd

Subject:
Dubai bids for Legolands as it seeks home for oil wealth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.legoland.deutschland, lugnet.legoland.windsor
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 23:42:16 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

All I can say is ummmmmmm... what?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10126875

Dubai bids for Legolands as it seeks home for oil wealth

23.05.05

JORDAN - Dubai's Government buyout fund is bidding for Lego's Legoland amusement
parks two months after acquiring London's Madame Tussauds waxworks museum as the
emirate uses its oil wealth to invest in Europe's entertainment industry.

"We will look to consolidate in the theme park sector in Europe through
Tussauds," Dubai International Capital chief executive officer Sameer al-Ansari
said in an interview in Jordan.

"We can't comment on how much we bid for Lego's parks," he said

Dubai is part of the United Arab Emirates, which is using a windfall profit from
record oil prices last year to double revenue from tourism in the next decade.

Billund Lego, based in Denmark, put its amusement parks up for sale in October
as it tried to revive its business making toys such as Duplo building blocks.
The company had its third annual loss in five years last year.

The Dubai fund in March paid 800 million ($2 billion) for Tussauds Group, whose
London waxworks includes models of celebrities including David Beckham, Brad
Pitt and Kylie Minogue.

The Chessington (England) company also runs theme parks such as Alton Towers and
Chessington World of Adventures.

Legoland runs four parks in Denmark, Germany, England and California. The parks'
attractions include lifesize Lego models of giraffes and hippopotami.

Buyout firms including Blackstone Group, Palamon Capital Partners, Spectrum
Equity Investors and Apollo Management may make offers for Legoland worth more
than 400 million, the Financial Times reported last month, without saying where
it got the information.

"We expect the sale to be completed in the summer," Lego spokeswoman Charlotte
Simonsen said. She declined to give details about specific bids the company had
received.

Dubai may spend US$3 billion ($4.2 billion) to US$5 billion a year over the next
five years to buy assets around the world, al-Ansari said. In January the
emirate bought a US$1 billion stake in the German carmaker DaimlerChrysler AG.

- BLOOMBERG

Re: I will be visiting from the US and wondered if there are any AFOL's in town.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:00:28 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.billund, Todd Thuma wrote:
Adult Fans of LEGO in Billund,

I will be visiting Legoland on the 28th, 29th, and 30th of May and wondered if
there might be anyone in Billund (or nearby) that might want to get together on
Saturday or Sunday.

I will be visiting for the Factory Tour and plan a couple of days in addition to
the schedule. I will leave on Monday the 31st to return to USA.

Anyone interested in planning a get together?

Todd

I live 50 minutes from Billund. Maybe we can meet. You can contact me via my
homepage: www.sitecenter.dk/legomodeljernbane

Knud

Subject:
I will be visiting from the US and wondered if there are any AFOL's in town.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:46:56 GMT

Adult Fans of LEGO in Billund,

I will be visiting Legoland on the 28th, 29th, and 30th of May and wondered if
there might be anyone in Billund (or nearby) that might want to get together on
Saturday or Sunday.

I will be visiting for the Factory Tour and plan a couple of days in addition to
the schedule. I will leave on Monday the 31st to return to USA.

Anyone interested in planning a get together?

Todd

Re: Pick-a-Brick Billund inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Paton wrote:
   Hi Maarten

It sounds like you and your family had a great trip!

I have filled a few of the 299,- boxes you mentioned and I am still trying to figure out if it was a good deal or not. Earlier in the season the price was 599,- and, although the selection was different, again, I am left wondering if we the customers were just doing LEGO a good turn by buying up all their right-handed 3 stud wings!!, for example. (I think you have to be lucky and coordinated, having my wife help and sort worked well for me.)

But, amongst all the Bionicle, there were a few treasures and strange items too! I honestly believed the Nesquick Bunny was a custom part until I became the proud owner of 5 Bunny heads. Haven’t a clue what to do with them yet, but I have them!

Seeing what they offered at 299/box, I think I’m happy to say that we were there early in the season and paid 599/box, in our case red boxes:

We were there 3 days in a row, and every morning new bricks were added, often in bags straight from the sets. Even som of the supplement/bulk-sets found their way in there (I got several roof and window-bags). Sorting bricks in the hotel in the evenings helped us not to end up with huge amounts of left-or-right-only-parts too...

What we found is described here: http://midtkil.no/~anne/billund2004.html. Quite fantastic, living in a country where they still do not offer S@H :-(((

Now, all that remains is to build an extension to our house so we got a proper room to play in....

aj-ml

--

Anne Jorunn Midtkil

Trondheim - Norway

Subject:
Pick-a-Brick Billund inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.general, lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:07:53 GMT

Hello all,

We visited Legoland Billund from August 21 until August 28 (with seasonpasses). No queues on the rides if you enter the park at 10.00 am among the first visitors... the kids just loved it (8 days on all those rides is too much for me).
I promised Huw Millington I would make an inventory of the Pick-a-Brick shop in Billund, because it hasn’t been updated recently on http://www.brickish.org/bulktracker/. I asked the people in charge of the shop about certain elements (like 1x1 plates in brown and tan), unfortunately they told me that it was the end of the season so not every element was still available (such as 1x2 plates in stone and dark stone). They were not as helpful as I wanted them to be. Anyway, I made a list of all the elements I found on Friday, August 27.
If you are interested in the list before it is updated on the BulkTracker (if you are going to Billund soon), you can also download it from my webpage: http://users.skynet.be/maarten.steurbaut/BillundInventory082704.doc.

I may have made slight mistakes, e.g. I don’t really know the difference between light blue and medium blue (I have never seen both colours at the same time), but I’m sure that those who are interested in the list will know what to do with it.
For those who intend to go to Billund to buy lots of pieces: some bins contained two different elements. I had to check the bottom of the bins to discover that there were also other elements in it.

There was also a special offer at the end of the season: fill a green box (same size as the well-known blue tub 3033) for only 299 DKK. Unfortunately most of the elements they offered were not very useful:

It took my wife more than 2 hours to fill a box with mostly 1x2 yellow and 1x3 red bricks. Everybody was scratching to the bottom to find standard lego bricks, but they were very scarce.

Maarten

Subject:
Talked to the PaB people today at LLW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:03:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Simon Bennett wrote:
In lugnet.general, Richard Morton wrote:
Speaking of PaB - I hear that Legoland Windsor now has a greater selection
of items compared to last year.
Does anyone have any up to date photos yet?

I've put photos from the opening day here:

http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/windsor/pickabrick

   I called them today and talked to the supply folks.

   They state that an order is being placed this week
   for new PaB parts, to be fulfilled sometime after
   mid-June.  So nothing new will probably be in the
   mix until then, according to LLW.

   best

   LFB

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 11:57:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Morton wrote:
Speaking of PaB - I hear that Legoland Windsor now has a greater selection
of items compared to last year.
Does anyone have any up to date photos yet?

I've put photos from the opening day here:

http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/windsor/pickabrick

Psi

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 21:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
Macaroni, eh? That's the first sighting of that there, AFAIK. Did you leave
any? :-)

The shop has been decimated since the opening weekend, and the last time I
was there, mid April, it hadn't been restocked. Consequently, the useful
stuff like tan, dark orange, dark grey etc. had been depleted.

   Did they have the pearl light grey colors at that time?

   The macaroni: I only took two cups, less than half; should have grabbed
   four or five, if I'd had my wits about me, but when I went back to
   the PaB shop at 4:30pm all the macaroni were gone, gone, gone.
   They had yellow macaroni too, of which I got about 1/4 cup.  Dark
   orange still seemed apparent, but tan and dark grey were hurting
   pretty badly.  They had loads of 2x2x2 trans slopes, though, which
   were pretty nice, and I'm hoping to see (oh hope, hope!) 3x3 light grey
   corner slopes appear--I know they were appearing in Billund--and maybe
   some of the stuff showing up at LL CA now, too.

   Maybe I should go on Friday, before the weekend rush.  Definitely get
   there right at opening (1pm) of the PaB shop.  Look for the drooling
   American.

   all best

   LFB

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 20:54:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huw Millington wrote:
Macaroni, eh? That's the first sighting of that there, AFAIK. Did you leave
any? :-)

The shop has been decimated since the opening weekend, and the last time I
was there, mid April, it hadn't been restocked. Consequently, the useful
stuff like tan, dark orange, dark grey etc. had been depleted.

I wonder if kids or AFOLs or both are attracted to this resource? Either way,
why doesn't TLG get the message that people want to buy stuff in this free form
manner. How can you open a shop, watch its stock levels deplete, and not bother
to restock. Especially as they should be actively investigating ways of
generating revenue.

JB

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 20:22:14 GMT

Macaroni, eh? That's the first sighting of that there, AFAIK. Did you leave
any? :-)

The shop has been decimated since the opening weekend, and the last time I
was there, mid April, it hadn't been restocked. Consequently, the useful
stuff like tan, dark orange, dark grey etc. had been depleted.

Huw

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Richard Morton wrote:

"Teddy Welsh" <ewelsh@wsc.ma.edu> wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where this marvelous place is?

<http://www.malug.hu/gallery/album21/aab>

Is it in a park, or freestanding retail?  I see pricing in Euro and • what might
be German on some signs, but I'm not even sure photos in this directory • are all
from the same place.

-Teddy

Speaking of PaB - I hear that Legoland Windsor now has a greater • selection
of items compared to last year.
Does anyone have any up to date photos yet? I'm going to be there next • month
and would love to know what they have...

   Well, I can tell you that they have a load of pearl light grey (like
   the grille bricks on the Santa Fe cars) that are supposed to be "LL
   Windsor Exclusive" (Don't know about other LLs, though); they do indeed
   have a TON of PaB boxes now; I was there not 8 days ago, and there are
   4 major sections in different corners of the PaB shop.  Unfortunately
   the selection was not quite what I'd hoped, in part because it was a
   weekend; however, I still got two large cups of light grey (old) 2x2
   macaroni for UKP22 (it's 11 quid a cup).  Not too bad.

   By the way, it seems LL CA has the "new classic space jacket" torsos
   in their PaB mix; I wonder if Windsor will get them.

   No photos, sadly; I may take the camera if I go later this week (the
   best day, I think, is probably a Thursday to go--though Huw or others
   may wish to correct me on this).

   all best

   LFB

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 15:47:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
it's 11 quid a cup

If you buy more than a kilo its also sold by weight at £22.50 / kilo.  Although
you may have to point the small print on the signs out to the shop staff as not
all of them seem to be aware of this!

William

Re: Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 12:31:16 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Any Photos of PaB Windsor? (Was - Re: Where in the world?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.legoland.deutschland
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 05:21:51 GMT

Can anyone tell me where this marvelous place is?

<http://www.malug.hu/gallery/album21/aab>

Is it in a park, or freestanding retail?  I see pricing in Euro and what • might
be German on some signs, but I'm not even sure photos in this directory • are all
from the same place.

-Teddy

Speaking of PaB - I hear that Legoland Windsor now has a greater selection
of items compared to last year.
Does anyone have any up to date photos yet? I'm going to be there next month
and would love to know what they have...

Same applies for Carlsbad.

Richard.

Re: Where in the world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.billund, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:10:26 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.billund, Huw Millington wrote:
Yep, that's Billund alright.

Here are some more photos which show the entire inventory at Easter:

I have been there again today, and it's pretty much the same, just a few
addiions like light green leafy bushes.

Oh man - if I died and went to LEGO heaven, that's what it would look like...
Pieces in all shapes, sizes, and colours!

-Bryan

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact