 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4888
Re: How to properly call "the Birck" was Re: Can some do this or tell me of who is this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:14:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Adrian Drake writes:
Since LEGO is a brand name, the proper way to describe the brick would be to
call them "a LEGO brick" or "many LEGO bricks"

I think LEGO has become much like Kleenex and Coke in usage.  While the
*correct* way to ask for a soft piece of paper to wipe my nose is "Hand me a
tissue" , some may say "Pass me a Kleenex."  As such, the plural to LEGO
would be LEGOs (note the lower case 's').  So saying "Give me my LEGOs"
could be construed as correct.

-Orion

I agree with you about tissues, but I sometimes say "Coke" and usually
"Hoover the floor".  With LEGO though, it's always been "playing with Lego"
to me.  I don't equate "Lego" to mean "a single LEGO brick", such that a
collection becomes "LEGOs".  To me, "Lego" is anything and everything
produced by The LEGO Group of Companies.  My entire collection IS Lego.  You
have tubs of Lego, shops that sell Lego.  In fact, one element on its own
would be "a Lego brick" to denote its singularity.

I think that's pretty much how it is for everyone in the UK too.  But, you
still hear people refer to MegaBloks as "Lego" (although there, the actual
company name is the plural).  Brand slippage is a worry, as it shows people
don't distinguish between your and your rivals' brands.  Calling the bricks
"LEGOs" though is just an irritation.

And while we're at it, they're crisps, not chips.  And they're chips, not
fries.  And as for the French, mustard is YELLOW, alright?  :)