 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4881
Re: How to properly call "the Birck" was Re: Can some do this or tell me of who is this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:10:45 GMT

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> writes:
What is the differnece between lego, Lego, LEGO, legos, Legos, and LEGOS?

When referring to the Lego Systems Inc company how to you spell it?
LEGO? Lego Systems, Inc.?  Lego?

I think it's The LEGO Company (TLC) these days.  Or just "LEGO".  Oh,
and the first time you say LEGO you're supposed to put (R) after it.

When referring to a SINGLE plastic brick/plate/unit...
LEGO?, lego?

Technically: A LEGO brick or element.  Personally: I'd probably say "a
brick" or "a plate" or "a piece" or something like that.

When referring to a BOX full of bricks/plates/units...
legos? LEGOS? Legos?

Technically: LEGO bricks or elements.  Personally: I'd probably say "a
box of LEGO".  I use it as a mass noun, like "water" (e.g. "a cup of
water" or "some water")

Can someone please answer these?

Legally, trademarks are adjectives and must always be followed by a
noun like "Company" or "brick".  If they get used as nouns or verbs
the trademark loses some of its enforcability.  Look at what's
happened to "Kleenex" or "Xerox" or in some places "Coke" or "Hoover".

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!