 LEGO Company / 2811
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:06:06 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Chan wrote:

The credibility of the Lego Promise – to never alter important things about Lego – has been uncomfortably shaken. The Promise sounds especially hollow when it is repeated after this unprecedented color change.

Even worse, what happens to the credibility of a parent who has told his or her child, “Lego is good because it will always work and stay the same”?

In our rapidly changing world, there is great comfort to both parent and child to have a quality toy, a Promise and a stable company they can believe and trust in.

Please return us to your previously unbroken record of consistency by making the classic gray, dark gray and brown colors available again. Lego bricks represent creativity, but they also represent a constancy that transcends time – much like a parent’s constant love for his or her child.

Have you ever watched a child (10 and under) play with LEGO? Quite often the brick size and shape is way more important than the colour. Take a look at the “kid creations” in the LEGO Magazine. Things are made of all different colours put together. Most kids are never going to have huge quanities of bricks all in one colour, although I’m sure they wish they did, but they don’t let this stop them.

I don’t think this can be approached in a “your hurting the kids”/heart-strings kind of way. Bricks fitting together is what matters most to parents and kids, and the bricks still fit together, so LEGO still “works” and has stayed the same.

This issue has to be approached as a “we adults are upset and we spend a lot of money on your product” kind of issue.

-Greg