 Harry Potter / 985

Subject:
A closer look at defective spiral stairs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 06:48:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

A couple days ago, Doyle Nelson alerted us all to re-examine our HP stairs:
http://news.lugnet.com/harrypotter/?n=955

I actually didn't remember a problem building either set, though upon closer
inspection, I actually DID recieve "defective" stairs. It's not overly
problematical or noticeable, given the flexibility in a set of spiral stairs
anyway, but it's certainly there.

Anyway, I took a little time and did some examination on my two sets of HP
spiral staircases, showing the resultant gaps, pictures of the differences
in defective and normal pieces, and also some stats on which sets contained
what, in what quantity, with what part id's:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/staircompare.html

Anyway, since TLC actually requested that Doyle RETURN his defective stairs
(I've never heard them ask THAT before) so that they could examine them,
here's hoping that this will provide some detail...

DaveE

Re: A closer look at defective spiral stairs
In lugnet.harrypotter, David Eaton writes:
Anyway, I took a little time and did some examination on my two sets of HP
spiral staircases, showing the resultant gaps, pictures of the differences
in defective and normal pieces, and also some stats on which sets contained
what, in what quantity, with what part id's:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/staircompare.html

Cool stuff!  Let me add my data from the 6706 - can anyone else confirm that
the stair pieces in these sets are consistent or random?

1-01 (2)
1-02 (2)
2-01
2-02
3-01
3-02 (2)
4-02
5-01
6-01 (3)
7-01
8-02
--------
16

... and these seem to be all good.

-- Pawel

In lugnet.harrypotter, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, David Eaton writes:
Anyway, I took a little time and did some examination on my two sets of HP
spiral staircases, showing the resultant gaps, pictures of the differences
in defective and normal pieces, and also some stats on which sets contained
what, in what quantity, with what part id's:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/staircompare.html

Cool stuff!  Let me add my data from the 6706 - can anyone else confirm that
the stair pieces in these sets are consistent or random?

They are random.  Here's mine:

1-01 (1)
1-02 (2)
2-02 (2)
3-02 (2)
4-02 (1)
5-02 (3)
6-01 (1)
6-02 (1)
8-01 (1)
8-02 (2)

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com

In lugnet.harrypotter, Adrian Drake writes:
[...]

From which set? And all non-defective, I presume?

For the moment I'm wondering more whether defective pieces have consistant
numbers, and whether, within a single set, if any normal AND defective steps
have the same numbers...

[...]

From which set? And all non-defective, I presume?

For the moment I'm wondering more whether defective pieces have consistant
numbers, and whether, within a single set, if any normal AND defective steps
have the same numbers...

DaveE

Oh, sorry.  They're all normal, and from the 4706 Forbidden Corridor.

Adrian

[...]

Looks like someone assembled the molds wrong IMO. That could explain why
there is a 180 degree difference in the notches in the underside of the
stair pieces. Simple enough of a mistake to overlook, but large enough to
cause significant problems with a major production run.

-Duane

Re: A closer look at defective spiral stairs