 General / 54443
Subject:
Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:03:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Now you can use your RCX to control LEGO Power Functions. That’s right the RCX can act as a PF remote control but it can do something that the PF remote can’t do yet. The RCX can do PWM with your PF reciever moduals.

You do not need to install BrickOS to get this to work. The executable that you need and the BrickOS firmware are included in this packet.

Get it here: http://www.fial.com/bob/lego/PowerFunctions.zip

The zip file includes a sample program that uses 2 rotation sensors to control the PWM on the red and blue ports it can also send controls to all 4 PF chanels. Also included is a .h file that impliments the complete Power functions protocol for BrickOS.

Please let me know of any changes or bugs that need to be addressed.

Bob

Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:23:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Kojima wrote:
   Now you can use your RCX to control LEGO Power Functions. That’s right the RCX can act as a PF remote control but it can do something that the PF remote can’t do yet. The RCX can do PWM with your PF reciever moduals.

You do not need to install BrickOS to get this to work. The executable that you need and the BrickOS firmware are included in this packet.

Get it here: http://www.fial.com/bob/lego/PowerFunctions.zip

The zip file includes a sample program that uses 2 rotation sensors to control the PWM on the red and blue ports it can also send controls to all 4 PF chanels. Also included is a .h file that impliments the complete Power functions protocol for BrickOS.

Please let me know of any changes or bugs that need to be addressed.

Bob

I don’t have BrickOS, but I have been playing with the protocols in NBC. I got the twin-motor PWM mode to work in tests, and the original ‘Combo direct’. But I can’t get ‘Single output’ or either of the ‘Single pin’ modes to work. Have you had any more luck?

Jason R

Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:41:58 GMT

   direct’. But I can’t get ‘Single output’ or either of the ‘Single pin’ modes to work. Have you had any more luck?

The toggle bit is checked in Single output mode (the documentation is not quite right for this mode) and in both single pin modes. each message is sent 5 times you need to toggle the toggle bit in every message sent. 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 etc.

bob

Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 03:46:38 GMT

Bob Kojima wrote:
Now you can use your RCX to control LEGO Power Functions.
That's right the RCX can act as a PF remote control but it
can do something that the PF remote can't do yet.  The RCX
can do PWM with your PF reciever moduals.

You do not need to install BrickOS to get this to work.  The
executable that you need and the BrickOS firmware are included
in this packet.

Get it here: <http://www.fial.com/bob/lego/PowerFunctions.zip>

The zip file includes a sample program that uses 2 rotation sensors
to control the PWM on the red and blue ports it can also send controls
to all 4 PF chanels.  Also included is a .h file that impliments the
complete Power functions protocol for BrickOS.

Please let me know of any changes or bugs that need to be addressed.

Bob

Bob,

I could not wait to get home from work to try this.  I want to say thank
you; your effort has saved me many countless hours.

I loaded the Firmware, and the Program into a 1.0 RCX, and the brick
worked flawlessly!  On my 1.0 brick, I was able to have that yellow
bulldozer race around my floor all via the glory of RCX control; AND
under PWM.

This was a lot of fun, and I cant wait to build it into a robot for one
of rtl's next games.

Just cause I can, I then downloaded the BrickOS firmware, and the
program, into a 2.0 RCX. I am sad to say I could not get the RCX to
control the Bulldozer reliably.  The firmware, and program loaded with
out a hitch. But as Philo, and Mark discussed here:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=2228

The 1.0 and the 2.0 RCX use 2 different IR frequencies. I had to hold
the RCX within inch's of the PF recievers to get it to accept any
signal, and then, the funny part was that even with the 2.0 RCX off, the
PF still kept driving the left track FWD.

:)

Just wanted to let you know.  Again, Thank you.

Chris

Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Kojima wrote:

   direct’. But I can’t get ‘Single output’ or either of the ‘Single pin’ modes to work. Have you had any more luck?

The toggle bit is checked in Single output mode (the documentation is not quite right for this mode) and in both single pin modes. each message is sent 5 times you need to toggle the toggle bit in every message sent. 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 etc.

bob

Okay, thanks. I can get ‘Single output Mode’ to work now. ‘Single pin Mode’ may be working too, but I’m not sure what to expect from it.

I would expect setting either C1 or C2 would set them to 9V and run a motor forwards or backwards. Setting them both would stop it.

But it seems if I set them, they do nothing. Unless the motor is already running. If it’s running forwards at slow speed, then I set C1, it jumps up to full speed. But then if I set C2 it keeps running, and if I clear C1 it keeps running, and in the same direction.

Can you get a motor to run just be setting C1?

Jason R

Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS