 General / 54411
Re: Getting your MOC's to shows?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:36:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Dave Sterling wrote:
   I’m not sure where this should be posted, so I placed it in events, general, and storage. Stacy and I are planning to attend Brickworld and possibly BrickFair this year. We would like to exhibit at both, but this year will be our first time doing any kind of public exposition. Since we’re first-timers, we have a few questions (and I warn you this could get long) about AFoL events.

Hi, Dave (& Stacy:-)

I’ve been much too quiet around here, so I’m taking this great opportunity to sound off. I remember being in your shoes not so long ago. Our first show was LaCrosse:-) So I will share with you all I can. But for sure let’s plan on having dinner together in LaCrosse in March and talk about it at length.

Yeah, you have been kinda quiet lately. I was wondering where you disappeared to. :-) Dinner in La Crosse sounds great. Did you guys make it to “The Depot” last year for BBQ? If you like BBQ it’s awesome.

   First off, when you say “MINI”, are you talking about a Mini Cooper or a minivan? Because what you bring to shows is completely dictated by what will fit in your vehicle.

MINI Cooper. We COULD bring our monster van...but it’s a pain on long trips. We’re still undecided as to which we’re bringing. I guess it will depend on how much stuff we want to show and how much more stuff we intend to bring back. :-)

   Another thing that REALLY helped us were “dry runs”. We used LaCrosse as a dry run show for the NMRA show in Cincinnati. If you are thinking about transporting a layout to Chicago, consider contacting the LaCrosse show to show there first, as a sort of dry run.

Yeah, a dry run would be awesome. I’d love to do La Crosse this year as it’s in our backyard. Do you have any contact information for that show? Or any advice on how to get in? I can’t find any contact information online. Also, I heard rumors last year that they were going to limit the LEGO Train participation because some of the “old timer” model train guys were getting grumpy about the AFoLs getting all the attention from the kids and media. Of course this rumor came from an “old timer” as well. We’ll see.

   As far as flying goes, I’ve never brought more than just a container of MOCs that I carried onto the plane for an event. It’s just not worth trying to bring a lot via air in my mind. I just suck it up and enjoy the MOCs of the locals:-)

Yeah, I think we’ll probably go this route. I might do a few Vigs. or something like that. Maybe bring a couple train engines or cars to show. I think we’re planning to do more volunteer stuff at that show versus actually exhibiting. The distance is just too great to safely bring everything. Maybe we’ll drive there in 2008. :-)

Gotta run,

-Dave