 General / 54408
Re: Getting your MOC's to shows?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:55:15 GMT

I have driven and flown with MOCs.

For driving, I just load them into boxes. I might put a bit of padding
around some items, but mostly they just get stacked up.

Note - my larger MOCs tend to break down into smaller modules - with the
exception of my coastal scene which is 5'x7.5', but that has only travelled
in town (well, a couple pieces have travelled to Seattle from Portland).

For flying, I take more care with bubble wrap, but not much. In fact, mostly
what I do is pack the smaller modules into individual bags to assure that if
parts do fall off, I know which module they came from. I usually fit a few
boxes into a suitcase, and sometimes a duffel. I've also transported some
stuff just in a box (one such box flew to BricksWest just before I moved to
Portland, I never even unsealed the box before moving, the moving guys were
a little skeptical about loading a box I had packed onto the truck, but I
pointed out that I had consigned that box to baggage handling, they were
going to handle it with kid gloves in comparison).

In general, I have found very little damage to my MOCs. But I did help
Thomas Avery deal with the damage to his crane once:

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=8646

One note - most (all?) airlines have reduced maximum bag weight to 50 lbs.
70 lbs was so much handier. A decent sized suitcase that will hold boxes
that will hold a 48x48 grey baseplate seem to weigh about 15 lbs empty, so
with a 5 lb buffer for differences in scales and last minute additions to
the suitcase, the suitcase itself uses up 1/3 of your baggage capacity, as
compares to less than 1/4 of the capacity with the 70 lb limit. Weigh your
suitcases before you get to the airport...

Frank