 General / 54409
Re: Getting your MOC's to shows?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:27:51 GMT

Hi Dave & Stacy,

I've been to BrickFest '06 (in my backyard) and I've driven to Brickworld (12
hours in small SUV).

I'll start one step ahead of your questions.  I go out of my way to create MOCs
that are built-to-show.  In BF'06 I made a mosaic.  It traveled just fine, flat
in my car.  For BW'07 I built the World Trade Center and planned it so that each
module fit into it's own box.  Both were very "simple" MOCs without a lot of
loose pieces, individual minifigs, etc.  So when a part broke off, it was realy
easy to spot it and put it back.  And upon arriving at the show, my setup time
was about 5 seconds, whereas many other people (those crazy train folk) were
going at it for hours.

How much to bring?  As little as possible that you can enjoy showing off and
still have fun.  If you're driving to Brickworld, as I did, you must know that
you'll be spending at least a couple hundred dollars on Lego when you're there.
All this stuff has to fit into your car.  I drove to BW'07 with a nearly empty
SUV, just 3 boxes for my MOC, and drove back PACKED TO THE BRIM.  Much of it was
my own, for my BrickLink store.  But I also carried back shopping bags for 3
others.  So take just a little bit of MOCs with you.

I haven't flown.  I drove 13 hours to Chicago specifically because I love my MOC
and my Lego.  Next time I'll try to ride-share with someone so I don't have to
drive 12 hours straight.

I hope to see you at BrickFair!
Todd