 General / 54410
Re: Getting your MOC's to shows?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:02:36 GMT

In lugnet.events, Dave Sterling wrote:
   I’m not sure where this should be posted, so I placed it in events, general, and storage. Stacy and I are planning to attend Brickworld and possibly BrickFair this year. We would like to exhibit at both, but this year will be our first time doing any kind of public exposition. Since we’re first-timers, we have a few questions (and I warn you this could get long) about AFoL events.

First we’ll focus on Brickworld since it is closer to us in distance. We will be driving (probably a MINI) from the La Crosse, WI area and will be coming down either Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Our questions...

Hi, Dave (& Stacy:-)

I’ve been much too quiet around here, so I’m taking this great opportunity to sound off. I remember being in your shoes not so long ago. Our first show was LaCrosse:-) So I will share with you all I can. But for sure let’s plan on having dinner together in LaCrosse in March and talk about it at length.

First off, when you say “MINI”, are you talking about a Mini Cooper or a minivan? Because what you bring to shows is completely dictated by what will fit in your vehicle.

I remember packing things SOOOO carefully into our car for our first show. The reality is, once stuff got into a car, it hardly moved. If you pack studs up, and you avoid accidents and rough driving, you shouldn’t have any real problems with MOCs. Containers are nice because you can pack MOCs in them and then safely stack the containers, giving you more packing space.

But again, how much you bring will be determined by the size of your ride.

Another thing that REALLY helped us were “dry runs”. We used LaCrosse as a dry run show for the NMRA show in Cincinnati. If you are thinking about transporting a layout to Chicago, consider contacting the LaCrosse show to show there first, as a sort of dry run.

As far as flying goes, I’ve never brought more than just a container of MOCs that I carried onto the plane for an event. It’s just not worth trying to bring a lot via air in my mind. I just suck it up and enjoy the MOCs of the locals:-)

JOHN

   1) How do most of you transport your MOC’s and layouts to shows? 2) What types of containers do you use...if any? 3) How much stuff do you usually bring? 4) How do you determine what to bring? 5) How much stuff your first time exhibiting? 6) Does anyone collaborate on transport (i.e. multiple groups renting a U-haul)?

Next, we have BrickFair. This would involve us flying in...which presents a new challenge. I’m leery of letting the airlines handle my MOC’s, but I don’t really have the vacation available to drive out to VA. So...

1) If you fly to an event...do you brings MOC’s? 2) If so, how do you get them to the show (airline, UPS, etc.)? 3) How much stuff do you usually bring to shows you fly to? 4) If you bring MOC’s on the airline...how do you package them? 5) If you ship them, what type of container do you use?

I think this covers most stuff. We’re just trying to get the logistics down for going to these shows and bringing our MOC’s, if possible. This will be a new...and fun...experience for us. Can’t wait to meet some/most/all of you this summer!

Oh, if anyone is passing through the La Crosse area on the way to Brickworld and has some “transport space for hire”...we’d be interested. :-)

Thanks, Dave