 General / 53755
  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Good job giving everyone time to back there stuff up, Kevin Everyone else, get on Flickr. Brickshelf has sucked since the 90's. (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Kevin's known for taking a good idea, starting something we want, and then abandoning all administration of it. Oh, without passing the torch gracefully. I estimate I probably lost 3/4 of my MOC photos. Aaron (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

You and 3/4 of the people on Lugnet. --- Rick (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) No, Flickr is a load of garbage. It's way, way slower to load than just about any other image-hosting site I've ever used, it has crap size restrictions on the actual image presentations for no reason other than it wants to maintain a "site (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hello! (...) I admit it would have been good to get a warning before BrickShelf was shut down. However, I have been using it excessively, all my Lego pictures were stored there for free, and I was thankful that a Lego picture service like this (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yeah, so maybe our Flickr experiences are very different. I love the site. I've loved it since it first came out. The interface is clean, the commenting and annotation system is outstanding and etc etc etc. It has about a dozen good features (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I'd have to take great exception to this point. I love Flickr. It's an absolutely fantastic. There have been slower periods, certainly, but honestly I've only noticed them pre-Yahoo! acquisition when they were growing in leaps and bounds and (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Sorry to follow-up to my own post (I wish I could simply edit the existing post instead). Forgot to mention that Flickr also has an incredible robust API that allows other sites to tap into the functionality of Flickr with relative ease. Three (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) There are two levels: Free, which gives you xxxx, and paid, which removes any and all restrictions for $25/year. (...) There is a fairly easy solution to this: simply set some guidelines for you "tag" your photos. Other Flickr users can also (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Aarg! Must be early... or I must be tired, anyway. I mean to replace the xxxx with the actual details and forgot before hitting submit. Anyway, for the free accounts, you get according to Flickr ((URL) you have a free Flickr account, you can (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Hi Jake! Thanks for the information and clarification. (...) Hm, having 94MB worth of MOC pictures on my HD that sounds manageable. Bye Jojo (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) I'll tell you, I have absolutely zero problems paying $25/year for the Flickr services. I use it daily now, uploading tons of RAW photos at full quality. Plus you get some additional features that are pretty handy. I've been posting the baby (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

I am with you all the way, Jake. I think Flickr is an incredible deal, and one that will probably be around for a long time thanks to it being integrated with Yahoo and with the revenue streams from printing, etc. For $25 a year I can archive my (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Another thing about Flickr - you can get the Flickr Uploadr program (for Mac or Windows) to do drag-n-drop uploading of images. It's sooooo much easier than creating a zip file or uploading one file at a time on Brickshelf. Also by getting a (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Hum.. you mean you never backed up any of the stuff you uploaded to brickshelf? shame, shame, shame... I backup and make a backup of the backup just in case. Learned my lesson a while back when I lost 90% of my data to 1) Back up WEEKLY! 2) (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Hey! This is great info! For a while I was planning to just move all my stuff to maj.com but Flickr pro w/ Flickr Uploadr sounds much easier. Thanks. Adr. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) What about "hot linking" to a photo in Flickr? I can't find an easy way to do that, and that was one of the things I liked best about Brickshelf. jt (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) That's the dilemma. Easier for the uploader, but harder for the surfer to find. I am too familiar with the Brickshelf/maj model and will stick with it for the time-being. JOHN (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) This is where I think there's a lot of opportunity to create a "Flickr Viewer" app using the Flickr API. You can have the same user experience of fast, LEGO-only surfing and still use Flickr. I'm also not convinced that Brickshelf is/was (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Ok, I found where you can get the direct URL to the image on Flickr, but the rules say you must include a link back to Flickr if you post the URL to another web page. (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) But you are a wiz-kid, Jake, and I am but a simple, old-timer:-) (...) Yeah, that I'll admit, but I never really looked for things past just browsing the recent pages. What I liked was the one-site shopping, and that it was an AFOL site, too. (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) A bit off-topic here, but I'd hardly call Flickr a "bigbox". From their earliest days they have been a community oriented company in a way that nearly every other company around can learn from. They built a fantastic tool always keeping in (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

Brickshelf is back up, with a warning date of the end of the month. Now's your chance, GO! (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Problems with Brickshelf?

(...) Yes, but wouldn't you probably do that anyway? See the way I use Flickr on my blog, brickpile.com, for an example of how it can work well for LEGO images. Flickr is also used widely at classic-space.com. Another nice thing about Flickr is (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.general)