 General / 51245
51244  |  51246
Subject:
Bricklink frustration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:25:19 GMT

Here is my situation

I want a large quantity of a single part type.

I have found the one BrickLink seller who has the part in quantity, in the right
colour. Even worse his price is ridiculously cheap (Especially compared to other
sellers).

But here's my problem.

The store has a ten dollar minimum (I only want a hundred 1 cent parts and
he doesn't have many other parts I need).

He only ships to America and Canada (I live in England).

He doesn't take Paypal (Argghh).

This would be my solution in a perfect world

It basically revolves around trading time (it takes longer to get your parts)
for flexibility and cost savings.

How it would work is thus (and remember this would just be an overlay to the
existing system which would still work as it does now) Each buyer and seller
would become a node in a greater BrickLink network.

Taking my situation for example, I'd me expected to want more than just one
type of part (which in this case is true). I'd submit orders to multiple vendors
in America. The parts I couldn't get hold of (as mentioned above) wouldn't come
to me, instead, the computerised system controlling everything would generate a
seamless seller to seller transfer. Each seller would have access to a method of
securely transferring funds to any other seller.

Therefore my parts would begin their journey, not by coming to me but going
to another seller I was dealing with, therefore this part of the journey would
only cost the price of surface mail (which I would be billed for).

The primary buying node would then add these parts to the parts I bought
from them and send them to me. I would only have to pay one seller and one
set of amalgamated carriage fees.

Now all this is too simple. Further savings could be generated if another buyer
lived near me. Our orders could again be amalgamated (if we shared a seller, and
the computer deemed it efficient) for the sea crossing. When I received the box
I'd break it down into my parts and there parts and they could come round and
pick them up. Shipping costs would be split between us dependant on the value of
the parts ordered and any shipping costs incurred before amalgamation).

As you can see this would be a complex system and could cause a few disputes but
it could lead to huge cost savings in certain circumstances (like mine)

Steve