 General / 51246
Re: Show 10 Concludes our Interview with Joe Meno...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:32:15 GMT

Steven B. Combs wrote:

and is now available.  You know were to get it!

Steven

_"Well, being hacked means we're getting popular."_: I said the same thing
right after you said it on the podcast, and you repeated me a minute or two
later. Its great that bimp is getting popular; maybe it will attract more
people into the community.

_Twins accused of hawking pilfered Lego sets on eBay_: /Whiskey Tango
Foxtrot/. I'm not sure what I'm pissed off more about, the fact they would
steal them from Lego, or the fact they could actually part with them. I <3
Lego ISD.

_"The best sets are at shop.lego.com"_: Bingo! Look around in
lugnet.dear-lego for a post of mine saying how much Walmart sucks for
carrying Lego sets. If its big (as in total kit size) they don't carry it
(ie, no Titan XL), if its not Bionicle-in-a-can or Knights-in-a-can they
don't carry it, and they're only carrying the small Designer sets (just
Robo Platoon and Speed Wings; Sky Squad and Sea Machines haven't shown up
yet, and I doubt the other bigger ones will because of their high price)

_Interview audio quality_: I probably should have mentioned this last time,
but the interview is lower volume than the rest of the podcast, and a
little hard to hear, especially Joe. It probably slipped my mind because
the interview itself is quite interesting.

_The money argument_: Joe, if it ever stops being fun for you, /please
stop/. This is something I figured out with all the stuff I've done in my
life: if I'm doing it because its fun, and it stops being fun, I'll end up
hating it if I keep doing it after its stopped being fun; and I doubt
anyone wants to hate the Lego community, especially not you.

_Space heavy_: I didn't notice it either, looking through it again with that
in mind, I /still/ don't see it as space heavy. However, maybe an idea for
a future issue: an issue totally dedicated to Lego Trains. The Train LUGs
out there do some pretty amazing stuff.

_Podcast vs Radio show_: Eh, thats a funny comparison. Thats like saying a
news/information oriented blog (as opposed to the personal diary kind) is
like a full fledged news website. They aren't the same... now don't get me
wrong, thats not a bad thing. I prefer getting my news/information first
hand from blogs and small time websites. Its faster, more accurate, and
more plentiful. In the case of the London incident a few days back, the
best news I got was from blogs of people who were actually there and
Wikinews.

Podcasts are the same way, what radio show would even spend time mentioning
Lego? Podcasts can specialize and fit in very small communities and still
have a wide fanbase; ie, how big is the AFOL community? Not that big. We
could never do a big time radio show on some big radio station, but
bimpcast is doing great.

_20k downloads_: Yahoo! At least part of that is thats to being mentioned on
BoingBoing (which is a widely read random stuff site, 250k+ regular
readers)

_BJ/BIMP collaboration_: You guys should work together more. You're both
well known voices in the community, and you two together can only make the
community bigger.

_Dino Attack_: They may have custom pieces on the dinosaurs, but at least it
isn't the stuff Megablocks is trying to pull with their Dragon's line. (See
previous rants on it; the dragons are basically stud free, and just aren't
bricks). Though, it does remind me of Megablocks; 'display model' dinos
that had custom heads and feet (and clawed forearms in the case of bipeds),
but were otherwise all brick.

_Bizzaro's Batmobile_: Thats a great example of SNOT building. It looks
great too.

_Show 10_: And I hope it keeps going for at least another 100.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@downeast.net
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,