 General / 50291
Re: rarest printed parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 06:41:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
What are the rarest printed parts?

I own both of the printed 1 x 6 x 5 astronaut bricks from classic space
(and some other printed classic space bits) but I have the feeling there
are rarer printed bits out there.

Up until now we have been talking about the rarest Lego printed part as being a
brick or panel or slope.  Eric Strand brought this one to my attention.  At over
$731.00 this may not be the rarest printed part, but it sure is the most
expensive I have seen yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5959062410

This is a 1965-69 1:87 Lego #659 VW Pickup Truck with writing on the sides.  The
#658 VW Van also can sometimes be found with promotional writing on the sides.

I talked with Morten Frost, a Danish collector from Aarhus Denmark, not to far
from Billund.  His explanation for this $731 printed Lego element is this:

There is a Danish version of the Boy Scouts who every 4 years have a sort of
"Jamboree" in Denmark in a summer scout camp called Julsolejren (near Aarhus and
Billund) for Christian African young scouts.  In 1967 these small #659 VW Pickup
Trucks on a string were given as gifts to the Nigerian (and Danish?) scouts as
scouting type souvenirs.  Muryar Bishara is the name of a Christian radio
station in Nigeria (supported by Danish missionaries), and they commissioned
these as souvenirs with their name on it.  I have never ever seen any 1:87 Lego
cars/trucks attached to some kind of string or any other material before.  I
have seen other titles such as "Philips", "Polizei", Afra Film", etc., but
without any string.

All I can say is "are there any AFOL's in Nigeria?"

Gary Istok