 General / 49964
Re: rarest printed parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
One rare part can be found here:

I have only heard about this single item.

I beleieve the church 309/1309 is somehow common, I have got it offered a
few times (the set). (<- I collect chucrhes!)

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
What are the rarest printed parts?

I own both of the printed 1 x 6 x 5 astronaut bricks from classic space
(and some other printed classic space bits) but I have the feeling there
are rarer printed bits out there.

There are several named beams that would qualify as rare. Here's some of them:
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print6 (warning big page)
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print8 (warning big page)

Most of those are 1960's or before. Some of the rarer ones I've seen are the
green prints, the Swedish/Danish VW sale, and the British variants. To get
truely rare, the Danish-only printed bricks without the Lego on the studs (it's
on the underside of the brick) are pre-1957.

Have fun,
Clark

P.S. My pages are an active pursuit. If anyone has more info or pictures of
named beams not yet shown in my galleries, please contact me at the above
address or the address on my website. Thanks.

Great pics of the named bricks Clark!

The highest price I have ever seen for a named beam is $35 for an "AD 1762" from
the #309 Church set.  The #309/#1309 sets from 1957-63 had 3 different names
"1762", "AD 1762" and "ANNO 1762", and are all very rare, since none were ever
in a spare parts pack.

Some of the named beams were not only available in sets, but also in the named
beam spare parts packs #226/#1224.  #1224 was the named beam spare parts pack
for northern Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) from 1955-58.  #226 was the named
beam spare parts pack for central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland,
Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, France) from 1955-58.  From 1958-65, #226 became
the spare parts pack number for all of Europe (and starting in 1960, 1961 and
1962 respectively - Britain, USA & Canada as well).

The first non 1x6 & 1x8 brick to have printing was the 2x4 sloped brick in red,
with the word "LEGO" in italicized white letters outlined in black.  I have seen
these in several 50's and 60's catalogs and brochures.  But I have not seen one
in any set.  These might have been used stricktly for promotions, and not for
sets.  This could be the rarest printed brick.  A picture of this very rare
brick can be found in "THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK" on the bottom of page 13. The
largest building in this town plan scene has one of these printed 2x4 red sloped
bricks on the awning above the 2nd floor windows.

Gary Istok

S,
It may not be super rare in Europe, but the 309/1309 Church is very rare in
USA/Canada, where it was never sold.  If you come across any more, please let me
know!! :-)

Also, thanks for showing the 2x10 beam from Bremen Germany.  Promotional items
such as those are truly rare.  Especially if they are unknown to most AFOLs.  I
have never heard of the company that it represents.

Gary Istok