 General / 49802

Subject:
rarest printed parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:21:46 GMT

What are the rarest printed parts?

I own both of the printed 1 x 6 x 5 astronaut bricks from classic space
(and some other printed classic space bits) but I have the feeling there
are rarer printed bits out there.

Re: rarest printed parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
What are the rarest printed parts?

I own both of the printed 1 x 6 x 5 astronaut bricks from classic space
(and some other printed classic space bits) but I have the feeling there
are rarer printed bits out there.

There are several named beams that would qualify as rare. Here's some of them:
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print6 (warning big page)
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print8 (warning big page)

Most of those are 1960's or before. Some of the rarer ones I've seen are the
green prints, the Swedish/Danish VW sale, and the British variants. To get
truely rare, the Danish-only printed bricks without the Lego on the studs (it's
on the underside of the brick) are pre-1957.

Have fun,
Clark

P.S. My pages are an active pursuit. If anyone has more info or pictures of
named beams not yet shown in my galleries, please contact me at the above
address or the address on my website. Thanks.

Re: rarest printed parts?
In lugnet.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
[...]

Great pics of the named bricks Clark!

The highest price I have ever seen for a named beam is $35 for an "AD 1762" from
the #309 Church set.  The #309/#1309 sets from 1957-63 had 3 different names
"1762", "AD 1762" and "ANNO 1762", and are all very rare, since none were ever
in a spare parts pack.

Some of the named beams were not only available in sets, but also in the named
beam spare parts packs #226/#1224.  #1224 was the named beam spare parts pack
for northern Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) from 1955-58.  #226 was the named
beam spare parts pack for central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland,
Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, France) from 1955-58.  From 1958-65, #226 became
the spare parts pack number for all of Europe (and starting in 1960, 1961 and
1962 respectively - Britain, USA & Canada as well).

The first non 1x6 & 1x8 brick to have printing was the 2x4 sloped brick in red,
with the word "LEGO" in italicized white letters outlined in black.  I have seen
these in several 50's and 60's catalogs and brochures.  But I have not seen one
in any set.  These might have been used stricktly for promotions, and not for
sets.  This could be the rarest printed brick.  A picture of this very rare
brick can be found in "THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK" on the bottom of page 13.  The
largest building in this town plan scene has one of these printed 2x4 red sloped
bricks on the awning above the 2nd floor windows.

Gary Istok

Re: rarest printed parts?
I have only heard about this single item.

I beleieve the church 309/1309 is somehow common, I have got it offered a
few times (the set). (<- I collect chucrhes!)

[...]

S,
It may not be super rare in Europe, but the 309/1309 Church is very rare in
USA/Canada, where it was never sold.  If you come across any more, please let me
know!! :-)

Also, thanks for showing the 2x10 beam from Bremen Germany.  Promotional items
such as those are truly rare.  Especially if they are unknown to most AFOLs.  I
have never heard of the company that it represents.

Gary Istok

Re: rarest printed parts?
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
There are several named beams that would qualify as rare. Here's some of them:
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print6 (warning big page)
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print8 (warning big page)

Most of those are 1960's or before. Some of the rarer ones I've seen are the
green prints, the Swedish/Danish VW sale, and the British variants. To get
truely rare, the Danish-only printed bricks without the Lego on the studs (it's
on the underside of the brick) are pre-1957.
Have fun,
Clark

Hi, I just got a mixed lot with a green "købmand" brick like the one in Clarks
picture:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ClarkCorner/Vintage/NamedBeams/Named1x8Beams/bp8kobmandgn.jpg
It has no "lego" print on the studs, but I can't spot any print inside the brick
either; was there a time where Lego made bricks without imprint at all?

Arne, Copenhagen

Re: rarest printed parts?
In lugnet.general, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
[...]

Arne, The 1x6 and 1x8 bricks from 1955-56 (the first years for printed bricks)
both had 3 "sections" underneath (although starting in 1957 the 1x8 bricks had 4
sections underneath).  On my bricks (with no "LEGO" on the studs) the middle
section is where "LEGO" is found, but it is very faint.  If you brick does not
have "LEGO" in that middle underneath section, then it could be one of the early
1955 bricks that may not have had "LEGO" anywhere on or underneath the brick.

It is very interesting to see that the first Lego bricks with "LEGO" on the
studs were probably the macaroni bricks.  They were first produced in 1955, but
I have never seen one without "LEGO" on the studs.  Neither have any of my
Danish collector friends.  (Note: I know that they are from 1955-56 because
there are 2x4 half circle macaroni bricks mixed in with them.  From spare parts
packs #1223/#224.)

All Lego bricks had "LEGO" on the studs starting 1957.  But I noticed TLG used
the old molds beyond 1957.  The most common ones were the 10x20 baseplates, and
the old 3 piece flip-top garage (#235) base.  It was common to still see these
parts without "LEGO" on the studs as late as 1960.

Gary Istok

Re: rarest printed parts?