 General / 49963
Re: rarest printed parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:07:26 GMT

One rare part can be found here:

I have only heard about this single item.

I beleieve the church 309/1309 is somehow common, I have got it offered a
few times (the set). (<- I collect chucrhes!)

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
What are the rarest printed parts?

I own both of the printed 1 x 6 x 5 astronaut bricks from classic space
(and some other printed classic space bits) but I have the feeling • there
are rarer printed bits out there.

There are several named beams that would qualify as rare. Here's some of • them:
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print6 (warning big page)
http://www.isodomos.com/VPH/Print8 (warning big page)

Most of those are 1960's or before. Some of the rarer ones I've seen are • the
green prints, the Swedish/Danish VW sale, and the British variants. To • get
truely rare, the Danish-only printed bricks without the Lego on the • studs (it's
on the underside of the brick) are pre-1957.

Have fun,
Clark

P.S. My pages are an active pursuit. If anyone has more info or pictures • of
named beams not yet shown in my galleries, please contact me at the • above
address or the address on my website. Thanks.

Great pics of the named bricks Clark!

The highest price I have ever seen for a named beam is $35 for an "AD • 1762" from
the #309 Church set.  The #309/#1309 sets from 1957-63 had 3 different • names
"1762", "AD 1762" and "ANNO 1762", and are all very rare, since none were • ever
in a spare parts pack.

Some of the named beams were not only available in sets, but also in the • named
beam spare parts packs #226/#1224.  #1224 was the named beam spare parts • pack
for northern Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) from 1955-58.  #226 was the • named
beam spare parts pack for central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland,
Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, France) from 1955-58.  From 1958-65, #226 • became
the spare parts pack number for all of Europe (and starting in 1960, 1961 • and
1962 respectively - Britain, USA & Canada as well).

The first non 1x6 & 1x8 brick to have printing was the 2x4 sloped brick in • red,
with the word "LEGO" in italicized white letters outlined in black.  I • have seen
these in several 50's and 60's catalogs and brochures.  But I have not • seen one
in any set.  These might have been used stricktly for promotions, and not • for
sets.  This could be the rarest printed brick.  A picture of this very • rare
brick can be found in "THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK" on the bottom of page 13. • The
largest building in this town plan scene has one of these printed 2x4 red • sloped
bricks on the awning above the 2nd floor windows.

Gary Istok