 General / 50292
50291  |  50293
Subject:
The various growing pains of Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:56:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all,

There seems to be a lot of sour grapes flying around here lately and I just
wanted to toss my two coppers into the ring and say that if you don't like
some of the posts you've been reading lately, then skip them.  Apply the TV
principle.  If the channel sucks, change it.  Better yet, turn it off and
build something.  We are in a time of great upheaval and transition and the
road will likely be bumpy for a long while.  As Lugnet grows, so do the
number of disparate personalities within it.  Some of them will not be
reasoned with.  Some will come, some will go, and some will vent with great
ferocity.  I intend to stick around, and that means learning to tolerate
those whose strident words are an echo of my own just a few short years ago.
I tolerate them because I recognize my own feelings in their voices.  The
volume is louder, but the message is essentially the same.

I know I've said a lot of this before, but it bears repeating.  I'm not
happy with some of the changes and resulting opinions and vitriol that have
erupted lately, but I can't complain because I've been a contributor.  I've
read a lot of unpleasant words, and it has never been much fun to slog
through the flames but I've done it because it's fascinating to see how deep
the fanatical AFOL rabbit hole goes.  I'm not one for throwing gasoline
around so my task has been to constantly remind myself of the bigger
picture.  It's more fun (and MUCH less stressful!) to take a break, build,
and then check back when the cool breeze has returned.

Yours on ice,

Dave