 General / 39093
Re: Legoworld 2002 - a brief review (and a longer one)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:00:39 GMT

Hi Thomas -
Thanks for the advice.  I'm going through Hamburg on the train, but looking
at the schedule it looks as if I have only 7 minutes to change.  I'm headed
to Frankfurt and then maybe to Ider Overstein - to wind up on the US Army
base at Baumholder.  I heard about the German LUG meeting near Köln on
Sunday, but unfortunately I now found out I only have two days instead of
four to spend with my best friend on the base, so I think I'll be skipping
the meeting.  I do have a free day though before I return to the States (the
30th - I return the 31st), so I may see if it is possible to take the train
to LEGOLAND Germany or see if I can meet up with German AFOLs in the area.

-Tim

In lugnet.general, Thomas Wölk writes:

<snip>
I'm very busy here on this leg of my trip too, more than just the park to
visit, and then I travel to Germany.
<snip>

hi!
So you are travelling by train. Passing Hamburg again when going south? On
the south western end of the railway station there is the big department
store Karstadt across the street. ("Südsteg", thru the tunnel, first shop on
the right.) They have a LEGO section in the basement. It used to be fairly
large and for a long time was some sort of factory outlet for LEGO
Hohenwestedt. Well that's more of historic interest now. They still have
more Kabooki stuff than you normally find outside of Billund though. Across
the street is Galleria-Kaufhof. They also have LEGO (top floor) but except
for special offers not the cheapest - but they often have the christmas
stuff rather early. You can cross under the street from Karstadt and you
enter at the basement level right into the sweet section. In the last years
the christmas sets were sold with Milka Chocolade (light purple boxes). Btw
just saw the first LEGO Advent Kalenders (SpieleMax). If you do travel by
car checking out the Furniture Store "Möbel Kraft" in Segeberg to the north
west of Hamburg is often quite rewarding as they do sell LEGO in the toy
section with good prices. Oh and there was some LEGO show going on in er
"Elbe Einkaufszentrum"? this weekend or the last? sorry can't remember.
Anyway what other parts of Germany are you heading for?

have a good hunt

tschuess/bye
thomas