 General / 39035
39034  |  39036
Subject:
Legoworld 2002 - a brief review (and a longer one)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:43:34 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear Lego Enthusiasts!

Today the biggest (and greatest!) Lego Fest ever will find its end. I myself
had the chance to attend Legoword 2002 in Zwolle/Netherlands for 3 of the 5
days. So here comes my brief report about it:

"LEGOWORLD 2002 HAS BEEN TRUELY PHANTASTIC"

.

.

.

Ok, I think I will give a midsized review too:
After getting out of bed in the middle of the night I was driving the 390 km
westwards to the Ijsselhallen in Zwolle. I had packed my car the evening
before and placed it in a guarded garage that night.....

When I arrived at 7:45 in the morning it took only a few minutes till members
of the local Lego club 'de Bouwsteen' let me in. BTW, that is the biggest
Lego-Fan Club wordwide with over 500 members - and I can assure you, I only
met very kind persons and had a very warm welcome. THANKS to all from 'de
Bouwsteen' and especially to its president Paul Wolters!
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/002positive_mood.jpg

Since the public gets into the Ijsselhalls at 10:00 I had to bring all my
stuff into the hall till 9:00 when the doors got locked up, which is not so
easy if you permanently meet lots of nice folks.
The time till 10:00 was devoted to put the Lego into the infield of the train
layout. Erwin van Grinsvin as the responsible person for that area had left me
a quite big area free, which I then occupated. I started with the track
layout, arranged my buildings along that and had a running train on it when
the public came in. Then it took 2 more hours to arrange baseplates with
minifigs, trees, cars and the other small details.

Then I had to check out the rest of the legoworld and found out about:

- roundabout 10.000 visitors per day (most days sold out)

- hundreds of fans from nearly all European countries and even Tim from the
US.

- a huge train layout with lots of very nice detailed houses for e.g. made by
Eric Brok and lots of others.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/009overview.jpg

- the pirate world of KLaas: all sets of Lego arranged in a mocced and
beautiful detailed table layout
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/50_pirate_world.jpg

- an extra table layout of 6 ITLUG members: that has been the probably most
beautiful arranged piece of Lego in Zwolle. So it was no wonder a big crowd
was always trying to get nearer to the fence along that. A mindstorms control
of the trains added extra attention.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/48_itlug_station.jpg

- a teaching area for CAD and developped building techniques
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/81_snot_school.jpg

- tables full with big sized trucks and cranes
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/33man.jpg

- tables full with mindstorms and technic creations
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/26_technik.jpg

- moc space buildings
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/27_space-nuts.jpg

- single XXL sized buildings, partly with nice surroundings
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/30_haus.jpg

- a huge 10 meters bridge with a camera-car running over it and driving in
spirals down to ground floor 2 meters below (radio transmission of the signal
onto a TV screen) phaszinated lots of people.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/22_10meter_bruecke.j
pg

- the neighbour halls were occupied with a national TV show sending live from
the Legoworld

- another was full with Lego displays and the kids playing area (tables with
tons of nicest parts)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/006_building.jpg

- last hall was attractive because of bulk sale of special elements like
corner roof pieces etc. Additionally there were the big Lego truck show and a
action based area where the kids could drive the new RC cars (really fast
those cars - lots of fun to drive them!)

- even the military supported the event with action camp: cids were allowed to
get up a ladder of steel cable. When reaching to the roof they could slide
down to the ground via another steal cable that lead down in a ca. 30° angle.
(Of course the were all time secured by a slim cord, but it looked really
dangerous and offered for sure a big thrill when they came down with a
unbelievable speed).
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Shows/Legoworld2002/005_armee_fun.jpg

-LC sent lots of employes as well and for e.g. Brad Justus gave us a nearly 90
minutes chance for question and answers. Thanks for the always very open
minded communication with us.

********************

So to come to an end:

I am convinced Legoworld was a full success for all sides: 'de Bouwsteen' and
its members, the guests who were 'working' on the show, the TV, The Lego
Company and all kids with parents and AFOLs that came along.

I will give anything to join next year again! Thanks again at all the people
that have made it so great days to me! I talked till my throat hurted and I
was pleased with the accommodation in bungalows and the food and drink support
and I needed lots of coffee with no minute too much spending on sleep....

Leg Godt!

Ben
(www.FGLTC.org)

full picture gallery: