 Events / BricksWest / 666
Re: Transcript of Keynote
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:24:31 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Alfred Speredelozzi writes:

Tim Courtney announced preorders for Virtual Lego, the book he and Ahui are
authoring. Syngress is also offering 25% off their texts.

Isn't Syngress the evil publisher of the competing clone copy of Courtney's
book?

Nope, definitely not evil, or clone. Two projects which developed
concurrently. I had a good time with Kevin and Jon this weekend, and can't
wait to get my hands on a copy of Powertools. *but* I'm waiting till we're
finished with Virtual LEGO first :-)

Thanks for clarifying this Tim.  We've both been working on LDraw CAD related
books, and helping each other through it.  I can tell you that Miguel Agullo
and I wrote the entire Power Tools book ourselves.   I don't know how we can be
a clone when we finished first :^)

Tim graciously put a page on LDraw.org about our book, because it is good for
the LDraw community.  Thanks Tim.

LDraw is *very* important to AFOLs, so it makes sense that there might be more
than one book written about it.  Tim is an obvious choice to write a book
because he helped create LDRaw.org.

I am also a good candidate for writing a book, because I wrote two LDraw
compatible CAD programs LPub and LSynth that have quickly become popular in the
LEGO CAD world.

I'm personally opposed to cloning, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get along
with myself.  LOL!

Kevin

I went to the site hoping to find a discounted version of Virtual Lego.
(Always looking for a bargain on something I know I am going to buy.)  But I
found "Lego Power Tools" instead. :(

I haven't had the time to get the Virtual LEGO information up on LDraw.org
yet. I'll do that hopefully tomorrow, as I recover from BricksWest. For
preorder info, you can check out the No Starch website at www.nostarch.com.

Thanks for your enthusiasm for the book :-)

-Tim