 Events / BricksWest / 619
618  |  620
Subject:
Transcript of Keynote
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 05:17:58 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Herewith an unedited transcript of the Keynote... corrected version to follow

BricksWest 2003 announcements and Keynote speech

Matt announced that the Bricks Magazine has received 2000 preview requests
already, and will be opening up a new offer for charter subscribers… The
offer will be for 6 issues for 12 dollars, which is a significant discount
from the cover price of 5 USD per issue.

Matt displayed a rendering of an exclusive model that James Mathis has done…
an Amtrak “Critter’ engine or switcher… the rendering was a full color large
scale image. It was presented to James to keep. This switcher will be
featured in the first issue.

James in turn presented an actual model of the same engine to the Bricks
magazine team. (it was in Green, black and white livery). He suggested that
everyone consider contributing content.

Chris Mathews (sp?) has written an article on Mecha building. There is also
a “origami” mech model being presented.

In other news, Steve Barile talked about the new ILTCO, and encouraged all
to attend the roundtable tomorrow night. The organization will be rolled out
at that roundtable.

Adrian Egli from the Southern California Lego Train Club said that 2002 was
a banner year, with 7 shows done. The holiday season had the first San Diego
based show (6 weeks at the model railroad museum). Adrian is going to pursue
the idea of a San Diego based club… while LUGOLA has done well, it may be
time to have a SD centric club. He’s hoping people will contact him.

Adrian Drake let us know that the guests also did dotting of his mosaic… he
will again let the guests do that tomorrow. But he will clear the guest dots
off, and wants the show attendees to be sure that they all get their dots on.

Todd Thuma announced that all of the animations are on video tape, no more
technical problems, he promises. It starts at 7 tomorrow. He hopes all will
attend.

Tim Courtney announced preorders for Virtual Lego, the book he and Ahui are
authoring. Syngress is also offering 25% off their texts.

Steve Putz, (director of Northern California FLL) announced that First Lego
League has some extra shirts and stuff available. He welcomes questions
about FLL.

A round of Karaoke followed.

· Dan Jassim with Rocket Man
· Scott Costello with Great Balls of Fire
· All the “train guys” with Last Train from Clarksville (this was 1/3 of the
room, actually)… what this group lacked in ability to stay on time and on
tune, it made up for in enthusiasm
· Paul Sinahson and Teddy Walsh serenaded us with a LEGO version of “who
could ask for anything more” (“I Got Rhythm”)….
· Todd Thuma did a LEGO version of the Tallyman song…. He had to have Paul
S. help out.
· Dan Jassim (with some help from Scott C) closed out the session with a
“love boat” singing introduction for Brad.

Brad opened offering to “sing” or “show”. After almost no thought, the crowd
went with show. Brad pointed out that all that singing happened WITHOUT an
open bar, proving that LEGO is the best drug of all.

2003 is a very significant year for LEGO… the new brand campaign is a “old”
brand campaign, putting the creativity and imagination burden back on the
builder… it is a recommitment to the roots of LEGO.

The new tagline for the company is “play on”… our way of saying that we
don’t want the LEGO experience ever to end. Jake showed a new poster showing
the “design and create” line sets. Some sets were brought out to show the
boxes of them

There will be a community round table at 11 tomorrow. LEGO will be getting
much more involved in supporting events like this, and BF and NWBCon and
LegoWorld which drew 40K in 4 days.

Tomorrow morning the sets will be opened to play with them.

ILTCO, we feel will be a good model for the company to work with a large
number of enthusiast groups. We get contacted by a lot of clubs and they all
tend to want a lot of the same things. Having an umbrella organization to
help is something that will in turn help LD. We are very much behind the
ILTCO efforts to move forward.

There was a meeting in Enfield a few weeks ago to talk about what LD and TLC
can do that the organizers themselves can’t do. Not to do models or whatever
but to support the organizers way of doing things. That is, to do things
like venues, marketing, public relations and building awareness etc.

It is not about LD specifically focusing on adults as a market but rather
about people who have a passion for the  brand, and who want to share it…
that sharing with kids and their families as well as the inter adult
sharing. What the kids see at events is that stuff IS in reach. Miniland is
great but not something that kids can do.

The most important message from LEGO is this: “we trust you with our brand”.
We trust you to do the right things and not dishonor the brand… Even Brendan!

Kenny Paul: Why are we limiting the age to 99 as the top end