 Events / BricksWest / 665
Re: Animation Competition 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.animation, lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:11:10 GMT

Ahui Herrera wrote:

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Seth Rotkin writes:

Seth you might want to talk to Todd Thuma about this to pick his brain.  He
has run several animation festivals for both brickswest and Bricksfest.  One
thing that occured this past week at BW03 was that some of the animations
were TOO LONG!  Keep aniations under 5 mins max as the audience can not
handle 10 animations at 10+ min each.

Actually, a better solution is to have the animations pre-judged, and
show only the best (which can include runners up). This way you can put
together a 30-45 minute presentation that most folks will be willing to
sit through. If space is available, all submitted entries can be shown
as a "session". This way there need not be any limitations on the length
of the animations. Longer animations are going to win because they are
able to sustain the viewer through the length.

If you really want a fan element in the voting, one of two things could
be done:

- have the fans pick the best of show from the winners and runners-up.

- have the fans pick a best of show from viewings during the "viewing
sessions", then include this animation in the awards showing (assuming
it wasn't already picked by the committee).

In my other life, I have attended several caving conventions. One
competition they have is a slide competition that gets thousands of
entries. The comittee puts together a show from winners, runners up, and
"accepted for show". It still results in an overly long show, but at
least that show is part of a week long conference.

Frank