 Color / *1508 (-20)
Subject:
TLG needs to know what colors are missing in existing elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.color, lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 05:02:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I am just ‘reposting’ this from Eurobricks website. I think this would be helpful for all us as AFOL’s.

TLG needs to know what colors are missing in existing elements

From TLG:

Hi LEGO Fans,

The LEGO Community Development would like to know which of the already existing elements would be needed most urgently in missing colors. Some optimism presumed the number one of the resulting list could end in a “color change” and might be produced in the future.

To participate - the way is as follows:
Suggestions need to be send by email until the June 30,2010. These suggestions will be sorted and afterwards published for a voting. The final chart will be send to the LCD Team.

For easier handling the suggestions should be aligned to the description of the BrickLink catalogue: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogTree.asp?itemType=P

Suggestions only will be accepted in a color which is still in production. So e.g.“Fabuland brown” is invalid because production of this color was stoped in 1997.

An overview about the actual colors could be downloaded here: 2010 LEGO Color palette

An example:
Part No: 50746
Name: Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3
New color: brick-yellow (tan)

The suggestions should be sent to this email address: ccf(at)x-brick.de

Either post here or on Eurobricks.com website.

I am pretty sure some of you have some ideas! Help out if you can.

Subject:
LDraw colour for metallic silver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:44:11 GMT

Any ideas?

Tim

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:02:16 GMT

I’d be very interested in even just a page with the bricklink colour name, lego colour name, peeron colour name, and photo... That basic (and rather time consuming...)

God Bless,

Nathan

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:36:11 GMT

In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:

Why not do a blog, Aaron?

Tim

I considered that, but with my personal blog I found I'm bad about generating
new content regularly enough to keep a readership.

I was planning to keep the News section as a blog-like 'look what I found'
splash page for the site.

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:11:33 GMT

In lugnet.color, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
Do you think that there is sufficient interest/value in a LEGO Colour website? I
have a lot of ideas about forum structure, contests, posting rules, topics of
conversation, and hopefully some useful resources for LEGO builders of all
themes.

Obviously, the site would focus on the use of colour and colour combinations in
LEGO creations. Also, a 'New Colour Watch' topic, colour fading and bleaching,
and hopefully a fairly definitive linkable colour palette.

I'd like to hear your ideas and criticisms!

Why not do a blog, Aaron?

Tim

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:19:35 GMT

In lugnet.color, Bob Parker wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Michael Huffman wrote:

Although it looks like that group’s charter is quite narrow compared to Aaron’s plans:

“The object of this group is to get a picture of every single color that Lego has ever made.”

We can see what Flickr users think of this idea since the question has been posted there too.

Yea, I took a look at that group, and it did not seem to be covering the topics and resources that I would like to cover.

But I would definitely like the site to cross-pollinate that groups photos, this groups discussions, and other color-related LEGO info from other sites, blogs, and resources.

Aaron

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:05:04 GMT

In lugnet.color, Michael Huffman wrote:

There’s sort of a LEGO Color group already on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/legocolors/

Called “All the colors of the (Lego) Rainbow”

--Mike.

Although it looks like that group’s charter is quite narrow compared to Aaron’s plans:

“The object of this group is to get a picture of every single color that Lego has ever made.”

We can see what Flickr users think of this idea since the question has been posted there too.

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:29:43 GMT

In lugnet.color, Bob Parker wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   Do you think that there is sufficient interest/value in a LEGO Colour website? I have a lot of ideas about forum structure, contests, posting rules, topics of conversation, and hopefully some useful resources for LEGO builders of all themes.

Obviously, the site would focus on the use of colour and colour combinations in LEGO creations. Also, a ‘New Colour Watch’ topic, colour fading and bleaching, and hopefully a fairly definitive linkable colour palette.

I’d like to hear your ideas and criticisms!

While color is important to many AFOLs, I don’t believe that a website dedicated to only the topic of color would work too well due to its possible small niche of members.

So my suggestion would be to start a Flickr group and put your time and effort into that. With over 2,000 members in the main Lego® group (called ‘LEGO’) there plus all of the related AFOL groups you should be able to maintain a pretty cool group dedicated to color. I know that I would join.

If even a Lego® Complaining Group can be found on Flickr, then any dream is possible! ;^)

There’s sort of a LEGO Color group already on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/legocolors/

Called “All the colors of the (Lego) Rainbow”

--Mike.

Re: Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:06:57 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Is there room for a LEGO Color Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:41:28 GMT

Do you think that there is sufficient interest/value in a LEGO Colour website? I
have a lot of ideas about forum structure, contests, posting rules, topics of
conversation, and hopefully some useful resources for LEGO builders of all
themes.

Obviously, the site would focus on the use of colour and colour combinations in
LEGO creations. Also, a 'New Colour Watch' topic, colour fading and bleaching,
and hopefully a fairly definitive linkable colour palette.

I'd like to hear your ideas and criticisms!

Subject:
number of different colors in sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:41:45 GMT

I got set 6743 Street Speeder for my birthday & I recommend the set, but I noticed that the inclusion of multiple grays-to-black, red, brown, yellow & tan parts jarred me while building. I would prefer sets to maintain a more minimized color palette for the main pieces; tires, head/tail lights & windshields being exceptions. I’ve noticed the ‘jarring’ colors more with the last couple years creator sets & for a longer time in some Star Wars sets. For example, in the 6743 set, the main colors are green & white with lt. & dk. gray and black. The ‘odd’ colors were red, yellow, tan, & brown. I assume the tan/brown is for upholstery - I could accept very few hinges & tiles in either tan OR brown for 2-4 seats, but no more. I even thought the alternating of lt. gray, dk gray & black (excluding tires) was odd for a small set. I would have preferred green & white for the main colors & only one type of gray for bumpers, body accents & upholstery in a small set (again, tires, windshields & lights excepted). The oddest, was the inclusion of the red 2x4 brick & 1x2 plates (even though I love ol’ red 2x4 as the Lego icon brick). If I were to build a small roadster, a 2x4 brick would be great as an engine block base, but red in a green & white car? The red & other jarring colors are mostly hidden in the instruction models, but the multiple grays & browns make it to the exterior of the secondary roadster & racer models & they look a bit mish-mashed as a result. I would say 3 colors for tiny-small sets, 4 colors for medium sets & 4-5 colors for large sets would keep the flexibility & uniformity of color scheme in official & MOCs in a good balance. What do you think?

Jeff

Subject:
Another color change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:47:24 GMT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssn-770/3102960562/

Subject:
New group on Flickr created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.color, lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:24:55 GMT

I have started a group on Flickr called Lego Complaining:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/912544@N23/

It’s open to the public so anyone can join. I invite everyone to come take a look at it and for all gentle readers to join if they would like to.

Here’s the group charter:

We all know that Lego is possibly one of the best building toys ever made, but let’s face it - sometimes things go wrong. Some themes and sets are a disaster (oh, say Galidor or Jack Stone for instance). Sudden color changes and poor quality control can be a pain. Set inventories can be incorrect just when you need to count on them.

Well, here’s where KFOLs and AFOLs can come together and have their voice heard. You can relate your experiences here and post pictures of any problems you have had with Lego or the Lego company.

It can be very therapeutic to talk things over. Then the healing can begin.

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome. I hope that by creating this group and directing complaints to it, the overall Lego Community will benefit and we can help make all AFOL web sites friendlier places to hang out in.

:^)

Re: Dark brown vs. old brown?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.color, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Could someone please point me to a picture of a dark brown brick next to an old brown brick? I can’t find anything on Brickshelf or Flickr.

Thanks!

Marc Nelson Jr.

Found one.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Re: Brickworld Pick-a-Brick quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:34:18 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickworld, David Gregory wrote:

However, I did notice some non-color quality issues with 1X1 False Brown bricks.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "false brick"?

ROSCO

Sorry.  I should've explained what I meant by that.  I really hate the new shade
of Brown, so instead of calling "new" Brown or "Reddish" Brown, I call it
"False" Brown.  "False" is meant only to modify the color brown, not the bricks
themselves...at least when I say it. ;)

David

Re: LEGO Quality Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.events, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Todd Webb wrote:
   would enable the villagers to gather their pitchforks and assemble en masse.

mmm, pitchforks ...

... I’m sorry, what was being discussed?

Imagine that piece in new brown...mmm....

Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

FUT .color

Re: Our Friend, the Sun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:13:35 GMT

In lugnet.color, Kevin Heckel wrote:
Forgive me if this has been resolved already, but has anyone tested out UV
radiation exposure on the new greys(bleys)?

So, here's the assignment: All of you that have no use for the new colours you
were tricked into buying, leave them out in the sun until they (hopefully) look
like the old greys, and then post pics and tell us how you did it.

Let the experimentation begin!

-Kevin

I don't recall what the Lugnet rules are for raising an old post, but has anyone
tried this yet?

thanks,
mark

Subject:
Dark brown vs. old brown?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 05:47:56 GMT

Could someone please point me to a picture of a dark brown brick next to an old brown brick? I can’t find anything on Brickshelf or Flickr.

Thanks!

Marc Nelson Jr.

Re: Its starting to happen...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:30:53 GMT

In lugnet.color, Tiffeny Thompson wrote:

I have the same problem, I just paid for dark gray Lego on ebay and am similarly
upset.  ITS BLAY =,( I do have buckets of the three new colors, but also am
trying to avoid using and buying them.  But what do I do when people do this,
the poor ebay guy has no clue.  However bricklink people NEED to have a clue.
This shouldn't happen on bricklink =(

I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Ask the seller specifically what color it is.  If you don't know the seller,
don't assume they are familiar with the differences.  The older, and more rare
the color-part combination is, the more important it is to ask.

2. The various keepers of the various community color 'databases' might want to
consider renaming the colors, so "gray" becomes "old gray" and "blay"/"medium
stone" becomes "gray".  Ditto for the other changed colors.

2a. Or go with a 3-color system, like "old gray", "new gray" and "gray".  If
someone lists a product as "gray", buyers will know to tread carefully.

Oh! I almost forgot!

3. Don't worry about it.  It's just a little piece of plastic.

Steve

Re: Its starting to happen...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:39:40 GMT

In lugnet.color, Barry D White wrote:
Hi there, im first time writer, long time reader, Baz.
I stayed quiet when Lego made the 'new' brown and grays.
You all said what i was thinking.
But.
The other day I received a Lego part that was on Bricklink as Brown. Its reddish
brown. So it looks odd. Im a bit upset but this is going to happen more and
more. People might not realise they're selling the new reddish brown or bluish
gray. It has happened once before to me. Has this happened to anyone else?
Im not mad. Lego made this one blunder. I will try and hold out as long as I can
and try hard to avoid the new brown and grays. I guess one day I will have to
give up and start using them. Its going to look weird. Because the new brown and
grays are just different enough to be noticably different. Do you know what I
mean?
I love Lego so much so I hate sounding like Im mad, I just want to write this to
see if its happening to everyone else. Are you using the new brown and grays or
trying to avoid them like me?

Thank you for your time, frm Baz

IMHTJBOATI

I have the same problem, I just paid for dark gray Lego on ebay and am similarly
upset.  ITS BLAY =,( I do have buckets of the three new colors, but also am
trying to avoid using and buying them.  But what do I do when people do this,
the poor ebay guy has no clue.  However bricklink people NEED to have a clue.
This shouldn't happen on bricklink =(

Anyone else have any advice.

Thanks,
Tiffeny Thompson