 Castle / 9374
Re: Crusader Fortress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:43:35 GMT

Hi Jon!

Grrr, I knew it... you're becoming one of my favorite builders. Ugh :-)

OK, more specific comments. First off, you caught my eye by locating a
creation in Israel (if ancient-day .il... still ;-). While I haven't been to
Ein Gedi (boo), I've been to Yam Ha-Melakh (the Salt Sea indeed! That's what
we call it). The crusader forts around Israel are quite awesome, I hope to
revisit them when I get back and take some detailed pics for y'all. They
really rock (pun very much intended ;-).

Now, about your model.  I love those palm-ish trees. They are *so*
realistic! Hey, if you wanna get a more Israeli-authentic look, add some
brown 1x1 plates for dates on the bottom of the green leaves; Israeli palms
don't carry coconuts.

Is that a modified axe there? First pic? Nice double stuff there. I like the
use of spears with flags... If I'm not mistaken, you also shaved the curls
off Prince Franz's face? Nice job, very smooth...

I definitely like the tan effect in the middle of the desert. Works out
perfectly, and you made great use of the resources available (rounded-off
1x2 bricks from Adventurers - sweet. I love those pieces). Great small
details like the 1x1 dots for the torch flame instead of a cone. Plus the
picture James mentioned - awesome lighting right there, and in general your
pictures are wonderfully sharp and clear. What cam do you use? Manual focus?
Plus I like the fact that you built up some of the surroundings (granted,
there's not much to build, but what's there is nice. :-). And, Belville
pieces all the way! <grin>

To conclude, you made me start a whole folder of favorite LEGO creations
links. <shaking head> Now I have to hunt up Heather Patey's page, Suz's,
Leah's, Craig's, to add to your brickshelf page... dang you. :-)

-Shiri