 Castle / 9376
Re: Crusader Fortress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:06:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Jon!

Grrr, I knew it... you're becoming one of my favorite builders. Ugh :-) • Thanks!
OK, more specific comments. First off, you caught my eye by locating a
creation in Israel (if ancient-day .il... still ;-). While I haven't been to
Ein Gedi (boo), I've been to Yam Ha-Melakh (the Salt Sea indeed! That's what
we call it).
I have to confess that I haven't been to Ein Gedi either (the site was
"unavailable" during my visit).  I love the historical significance of the
site though, and when I thought of where in Judea to set the scene, it was
either there or Jericho.  I toyed with using green baseplates and putting it
in Galilee (Tiberias or Decapolis), but I figured I'd be fighting too many
stereotypes to make it realistic.
The crusader forts around Israel are quite awesome, I hope to
revisit them when I get back and take some detailed pics for y'all. They
really rock (pun very much intended ;-).
As my bulk orders arrive I'll be able to build bigger stuff, so those pics
would be really helpful.  Most of the sites I went to were mostly Abrahamic,
or Davidic Era, so I didn't get to see much crusader work.  (I did fashion
the archers windows after the ones in Jerusalem's Turkish walls).

Now, about your model.  I love those palm-ish trees. They are *so*
realistic! Hey, if you wanna get a more Israeli-authentic look, add some
brown 1x1 plates for dates on the bottom of the green leaves; Israeli palms
don't carry coconuts.
I'll have to add it! maybe the cook could be collecting them!  What is the
use in having date palms if you don't eat the dates!

Is that a modified axe there? First pic? Nice double stuff there.
Yes, I had a broken one, so I just glued the blade onto another.  There is a
better pic of it in the shot that peeks through the open gates.

It wasn't supposed to be in the opening shot, I just forgpt to clean up the
scene, and didn't see it till after!

What cam do you use? Manual focus?
Plus I like the fact that you built up some of the surroundings (granted,
there's not much to build, but what's there is nice. :-). And, Belville
pieces all the way! <grin>
I used a Nikon CoolPix, and I focused manually.  It's a bear to work with,
but I seem to finally be getting the hang of it!  If I could only get my
hands on some more Belville Bread loaves, I'd have quite the feast!  Until
then, I'll have to use tan 1x1's for pita's.

See ya   Jon