 Castle / 6633
Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:43:36 GMT

Andy

Glad to find someone else who has taken the time to read the book.  Even the
movie takes a significant amount of time to finish (not very often that you
find that to be the case).

The movie is so good because it was very well researched and put together.
I think you are right about Blackthorne making the comparison between
cultures.  In fact the whole story seems to jump from one cultural shock to
another for poor old Blackthorne (although he seems to adapt fairly well).
I remember the bathing scene in particular when he seems shocked that they
want him to take a bath and thinks it will ruin his health.  Seems the
Japanese were a little ahead of Europe on this point (heavy use of perfume
only goes so far!!!).

Andy

In lugnet.castle, Andy Lynch writes:
I loved the book Shogun.  I've read it a few times, it is very enjoyable.  A
glimpse into a very different culture and time period from my own.

I also remember that there is a short comparison to life in medieval Europe,
through Blackthorne's thoughts of his wife and family back home.

-Andy Lynch