 Castle / 6604
Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:25:32 GMT

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:48:30 GMT, "Mike Rayhawk"
<rayhawk@artcenter.edu> wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Zack Stackhouse writes:
Along this line of question, what other weapons were used in fuedal japan?
I always add armies to the castle series (european, but I have never
prepped an army for the ninjas. I have plenty of figures to make
an army, I just haven't done it because I don't know what other
weapons to give them.

Any suggestions? Anybody know of any GOOD movies that represent
fuedal japan well?

I haven't seen it yet myself, but from what I hear Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" is
far and away the best movie for medieval Japanese battles.

"Ran" *IS* fabulous but its late medieval if medieval at all, primary
weapons in it are bows, swords and MUSKET'S.  Fabulous scene of the
various sides going back and forth with the advantage swinging one way
or another....

My view is muskets don't belong in castle :^) but other's views may
differ , and rightly so as they are not me!

While ninjas had every kind of bizarre weapon you could think of, traditional
armies had a very basic assortment of weapons:

Some type of longsword (usually a katana), usually accompanied by a shortsword
and knife.  In later times these could only be carried by samurai.

A bladed polearm (naginata), which was originally used by samurai but later
came to be viewed as a peasants' weapon.

A longbow (yumi), which was much taller on top than on bottom, in order to
facilitate its being fired from horseback.  This eventually became a samurai-
only weapon.

A musket (arquebus), imported from Europe.  Its use was considered dishonorable
for samurai and was used only by peasant conscripts.

The Japanese used cannons as naval armament but as far as I know did not use
them in land campaigns or in their fortresses.  I'm sure someone will correct
me if I am mistaken.

As a side note, my samurai and bandit armies fought for control of Nagateppo
Monastery back in February, I don't remember if I ever posted the site here.
If anyone wants to check it out it's at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/games/n-setup.htm .  Historical accuracy
wasn't a big priority at the time so please ignore the many glaring
anachronisms.

- Mike.

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle!