 Castle / 6589
Subject:
Wheels in medieval Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:01:24 GMT

I was thinking about adding a village to my medieval Japanes countryside
today when a thought occurred to me.  Did they have any land vehicles at
all?  I can't seem to remember ever seeing a medieval Japanese cart or
chariot.  Everything is carried around, either by hand or on the backs of
horses.  Am I crazy, or were there no wheels in medieval Japan?

- Mike.

Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:46:33 GMT

I'm sure that they had wheels, but the terrain was too mountainous to make
wheeled carts very useful.

-Andy Lynch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rayhawk" <rayhawk@artcenter.edu>
I was thinking about adding a village to my medieval Japanes countryside
today when a thought occurred to me.  Did they have any land vehicles at
all?  I can't seem to remember ever seeing a medieval Japanese cart or
chariot.  Everything is carried around, either by hand or on the backs of
horses.  Am I crazy, or were there no wheels in medieval Japan?

Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
Ug.  I already replied to this thread, but It occurred to me that there may
also have been a "class taboo" on wheeled transportation.  That is, only the
emperor or high ranked samurai could use them?  Of course, if that were
true, then the samurai would undoubtedly consider riding in a wheeled cart
disgraceful, and therefore only the Emperor would use them.

-Andy Lynch

I was thinking about adding a village to my medieval Japanes countryside
today when a thought occurred to me.  Did they have any land vehicles at
all?  I can't seem to remember ever seeing a medieval Japanese cart or
chariot.  Everything is carried around, either by hand or on the backs of
horses.  Am I crazy, or were there no wheels in medieval Japan?

Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
I was thinking about adding a village to my medieval Japanes countryside
today when a thought occurred to me.  Did they have any land vehicles at
all?  I can't seem to remember ever seeing a medieval Japanese cart or
chariot.  Everything is carried around, either by hand or on the backs of
horses.  Am I crazy, or were there no wheels in medieval Japan?

- Mike.

Your sanity prevails: wheeled vehicles were under extreme restrictions in
Japan.  In part for the damage they did to the roads, and in part to keep
the peasants in their place.

Bruce

Re: Wheels in medieval Japan