 Castle / 6596
Re: Wheels in medieval Japan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:48:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Zack Stackhouse writes:
Along this line of question, what other weapons were used in fuedal japan?
I always add armies to the castle series (european, but I have never
prepped an army for the ninjas. I have plenty of figures to make
an army, I just haven't done it because I don't know what other
weapons to give them.

Any suggestions? Anybody know of any GOOD movies that represent
fuedal japan well?

I haven't seen it yet myself, but from what I hear Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" is
far and away the best movie for medieval Japanese battles.

While ninjas had every kind of bizarre weapon you could think of, traditional
armies had a very basic assortment of weapons:

Some type of longsword (usually a katana), usually accompanied by a shortsword
and knife.  In later times these could only be carried by samurai.

A bladed polearm (naginata), which was originally used by samurai but later
came to be viewed as a peasants' weapon.

A longbow (yumi), which was much taller on top than on bottom, in order to
facilitate its being fired from horseback.  This eventually became a samurai-
only weapon.

A musket (arquebus), imported from Europe.  Its use was considered dishonorable
for samurai and was used only by peasant conscripts.

The Japanese used cannons as naval armament but as far as I know did not use
them in land campaigns or in their fortresses.  I'm sure someone will correct
me if I am mistaken.

As a side note, my samurai and bandit armies fought for control of Nagateppo
Monastery back in February, I don't remember if I ever posted the site here.
If anyone wants to check it out it's at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/games/n-setup.htm .  Historical accuracy
wasn't a big priority at the time so please ignore the many glaring
anachronisms.

- Mike.