 Castle / 5383
Re: How Lego Direct could Make Jar-Jar an Orc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.castle, Erik Olson writes:
Uhoh, a Tolkien debate. I don't think the orc color is determined. They have
been various colors in licensed artwork. Gandalf became blue thanks to the
animated features, therefore Majisto looks like a copy, but remember he's
"Gandalf the Grey".

Page 44, Grafton three book edition of The Lord Of The Rings (Part one);
"An old man was driving it all alone. He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long
grey cloak anf a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrowss
that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat."

Thanks James! I guess the animators liked the blue hat notion because they gave
him a blue cloak in the 1979 movie... which the board game was based on... The
board game is fun... the colorful orcs are black, red, brown and yellow all at
once. (The ones in Moria are red, to look better on a black background. Special
breed?) But soon nobody will think of that movie anymore... yippee! Still, it
will always be "the one that got away" to me, since I only learned about it as I
was picking up my carefully-painted wooden castle from the newsprint and
couldn't believe my eyes at first, there was a movie ad with a big Gandalf (now
spotted with paint.) And it had come and gone away already.

Very soon there will be more..!

It's been awhile since I read LOTR, but, I have been reading the various 'Lost
Tales' and Unfinished Tales.