 Castle / 19226
Subject:
A wine rack I made today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:35:05 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As I continue to plan how I will build my next castle, as my parts are currently used in other things, I began to think of the Castle’s Keep.

Now, every castle has got to have a place to eat, and of course my next castle being a royal castle, my thoughts turned to a wine cellar.

So I did some searching around Lugnet and Bricklink, and came up empty handed. All of the wine storage areas I found were just large holes for barrels. But I wanted a wine rack. I mean, this is a royal castle! They need the really good stuff, the stuff that only comes in small bottles and in very limited quantities.

So I went about making my own wine rack. Here’s what I came up with:

And here’s how I did it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/savatheaggie/Misc/winerack/winerack2.jpg

Some notes:

The wine rack itself does not hang inside it’s nook. Instead, two 1x2 slopes and two 1x2 inverted slopes pin it in place. Otherwise it just slides into place from above and sits nice and snug.

I wanted to do the rack in brown, but I don’t have any free, so I went for the more ‘natural’ wood look with my spare tan which up till now has gone relatively unused (a problem I am taking care of :)

I had thought of using nothing but 1x1s to create the construction, which would give me a larger capacity for wine bottles, but I wanted that cross beam look that real wine racks have. I could have used crossed plates, but once the wine bottles were in you wouldn’t be able to tell what you used anyway.

I suppose there’s another way to make the cross beams smaller using a different form of SNOT, but this was the easiest and least parts intensive for me.

So, be brutally honest, whaddya think?

--Anthony

Re: A wine rack I made today