 Castle / 19281
Re: A wine rack I made today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:

   But I’ll be looking forward to seeing anyone’s ideas on how to make the lattice thinner.

I realy like yor idea, and the challenge you lay before us. It got me thinking and my first (futile) attempt was this:

But that looked more like a buisness fair display stand from the 60’s than a midieval wine rack. ¹)

Then, it dawned to me that the diagonal distance between adjacent studs is Squareroot of 2 x 20 LDU = 28.2843 LDU. That happens to be just over 1 stud wide + 1 plate high, perfect for a wine rack made of tiles with brick-wide gaps in between. I’ve made a MLCad mockup:

Ofcourse, this just shows the principle, and white and red color are for distinction only. Size is at your own whim, and a frame hiding the edges and keeping the long tiles in place are amongst the things you have to work out for yourself.

The *.ldr file posted at http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/ideas/?n=202 illustrates best how the principle works.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen

¹) It could have been a prop from the movie “Playtime” directed by Jaques Tati.