 Castle / 19231
Re: A wine rack I made today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:

   So, be brutally honest, whaddya think?

Hey that is a REALLY neat idea. Too bad my secret 3CS building is already packed for its trip to Portland or I’d be stealing that idea as we speak. But if I stole it, I’d probably do it differently.

Instead of using bricks stud on, I think I’d try to use plates turned edge on, and wedge tiles in between one plate and the next (between their studs) to make a lattice.

It wouldn’t be nearly as sturdy but it might look more delicate. Did you try that and reject it? There are challenges there with how you get one lattice row to lock to the next I think...

Thanks for sharing... makes me thirsty!

Thanks much Lar, glad you liked it!

I actually tried several different types of lattice (Thanks BTW, couldn’t think of that word yesterday!), but this is what worked best.

I tried using 1xX plates in the same direction of the bricks (just no plates in the back to back them up), sandwiching them together. But as I said in my original post, once the wine bottles were involved, I might as well have used bricks.

I didn’t try but I did think long and hard about having the plates as you described, and I couldn’t come up with anything sturdy.

I suppose, thinking about it now, you could use the same wedge plates I did, and then snug in 1xX tiles between the studs of the plates, creating the lattice, but the holes would be bigger, theoretically, so I dont know how funny it’d look.

You see, I’m a real clutz, so things that break or fall apart easy just don’t appeal too much to me. So one of the really great things about this design, in my opinion, is that the ‘wine bottles’ are actually attached to the studs on the plates behind them, so they don’t fall out if you tip the lattice over.

But I’ll be looking forward to seeing anyone’s ideas on how to make the lattice thinner.

And thanks for the reply!

--Anthony