 Castle / 19288
Re: A wine rack I made today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:38:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
Also you would keep the ability to atach bottles to the studs, something not
possible when using the headlight bricks.

That's true, but your version shouldn't require headlight bricks, should it?

I think I will try to build the two solutions for real (maybe even a
combination of both), to see how practicly feasable these are.

I did a quicky test using a 1x1 with four studs just to see if a tile will fit
between the two bricks, and it does work.  Since you'd be using 1x1 bricks to
hold everything on, you know you'll have enough width for the tiles to fit
between each other.  The only feasibility problem is that it'll require parts
from a ton of X-Pods to do a goodly sized wine rack.  To do just an 8x8 rack
you'd need 32 of them.  Currently Peeron just lists two available with the green
X-Pod, and Bricklink doesn't have any available.  I don't have any yet, hence
the distinct lack of demo.  Actually, I just realized something stupid.  If you
alternate between 5-stud bricks and regular 1x1's, you can put all of the tiles
around the 5-studs and just use the 1x1's to fill in the gap and pinch the tiles
in place, making it considerably more feasible for the average builder.

The long-tiled look will still look a bit more realistic as an actual wooden
construction, though (BTW, have you considered putting a 1x8 tile in the middle
slant so you don't have a break in the middle that would allow the pieces to
spill out?).