 General / 44972
44971  |  44973
Subject:
New element (Was: Re: New x-pod sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:06:20 GMT

4346 has two of an interesting new element

Brick 1 x 1 with studs on two sides:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010697.jpg

This should provide new possibilties for SNOT constructions.

Huw

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@btinternet.com> wrote in message
I hadn't noticed until William Howard mentioned it, that the clear parts
screw together as do the lid and base:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010685.jpg

Huw

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@btinternet.com> wrote in message
The new Argos [1] catalogue came out today in the UK, and in it are the • new
x-pod Designer sets, which they had in stock, seemingly several months
before their general release. The four sets can be seen here:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=4346-4349

These are interesting because they each come in a canister which has
studs/connectors on their base and lids so can be used as part of the
models:

Overview:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010672.jpg

The canister:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010673.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010674.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010675.jpg

with bricks in:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010676.jpg

The lids and base screw on; a 1/2 turn needed to remove and secure them. • The
base of the clear tub also has connectors on it, and an axle hole in the
middle.

The canisters join to each other:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010677.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010678.jpg

and, because Argos were selling them as a lot of 4, they also came with • a
strap which threads through their sides and allows them to be carried:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/x-pods/sp1010680.jpg

The strap has an embroidered LEGO logo on the end. I have no idea how • this
strap will be available normally, but perhaps other shops, which will • sell
them singly, will give them out if you buy all four. It a right pain to
thread the strap through the holes in the canister sides, though!

Anyone who has taken a 'bot-kit' with them on their travels will • appreciate
these, and space-heads will undoubtably find a use for the canisters as
spaceship cabins, much like they did with the Duplo eggs.

Once moderated:

Huw

[1] Argos is a national UK high-street chain that publishes a catalogue • once
a year, and is often the first shop to carry new lines in January and
August.