 Castle / 12421
  What's in a name, anyway?

Hello hello! Ive been thinking long and hard for medieval names for towns, cities and villages. Unfortunately, I seem to be having city-name-writers-block! I tend to get some ideas from ancient Greece and Star Wars planet names, but those'll only (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

If your looking for a northwestern european flavour then take a look at (URL) roman, saxon and viking name suffexes mix and match them or add them to other appropriate words by the way, the list is a bit misleading as most of the celtic words are (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

(...) Hmm. That's a good list. Living in New England, and having used the suffix "Ham" for at least one of my villages, I often wondered what that actually meant... I see it in the Saxon section as meaning "village"... Back to Dave's question about (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

im personally a big fan of maps, maps, and maps. I'd check out a map of medieval europe, middle east, and central asia. Those are the areas i personally like best. id also get a big version of Tolkien's Middle Earth for naming solutions; i know (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

(...) I did a lot of research in coming up with all the name elements I used. First I sketched out a rough map of the Kingdom and the surrounding lands (which I'm still working on turning into something that can go up on my site) and divided the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

(...) I like that indeed! (And the story about the Goth club)... Now I have a question that perhaps I should know the answer to already (but don't)... This thread (and others) suggests that a great many of us have deep and creative fictional worlds (...) (22 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

(...) The castle folks, much more so than the other theme fans (ie space and town), tend to develop characters and storylines to go along with their creations. Check out the Castle World website: (URL) the related lugnet newsgroup: (URL) Hafner (...) (22 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

Hi Tony et al, I do like what the Castle World site has (and have considered joining on the condition that I ever get some better pics to post), but when I browse there it seems to be a collection of everyone's things mixed in no certain order other (...) (22 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

i've taken a lil time to get a listing of castle sites, but not with the detail you suggest (i haven't taken the time to do it yet), but it would be something good to do. (URL) problem with CastleWorld's list is that it is totally reserved for (...) (22 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

Yeah, the CW idea is a pretty good one. I couldn't imagine being a webmaster nd continually having to check for broken links and dead sites, so no wonder why there aren't an abundance of Castle World Sites. Personally, I haven't even got my site up (...) (22 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

Hi Hendo! First off, if you want a comprehensive link list, the best by far you'll get is Frank Filz's listing: (URL) it does not end at worlds, it has every single creation posted to LUGNET since it's beginning. I'm not sure when it was last (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

Thanks for the reply, Shiri! Phew, just a brief look at Frank's page and clearly there is a daunting amount of info and number of sites to browse through. I am ever impressed with the endless possibilities of creativity by this community! ...And (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw)

  Re: What's in a name, anyway?

(...) Hmm...you have a point there. I like organization myself, and I've browsed Castle world's site before. However, I have no idea why the characters are all mixed up, maybe nobody had the time to work on this. (...) Excellent idea. If I had a (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw)