 Castle / 12429
Re: What's in a name, anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey writes:
If your looking for a northwestern european flavour then take a look at
http://www.prenticenet.com/news/2001/english_place_name_suffixes.htm
celtic, roman, saxon and viking name suffexes mix and match them or add them
to other appropriate words...

Hmm.  That's a good list.  Living in New England, and having used the suffix
"Ham" for at least one of my villages, I often wondered what that actually
meant...  I see it in the Saxon section as meaning "village"...

Back to Dave's question about inspiration for place names, I lean towards
the historic, and thus avoid the apostrophe ('), as I find that a little
overdone, especially in the Sci-Fi worlds.  (Overuse of an idea in Sci-Fi or
Fantasy can quickly make something cheesy.)

The place names I have used just kind of come to me, but they clearly have
been influenced by the 'sound' of real-world names.  In my Billundian realm,
which is suppose to be culturally similar to England, I have places like
Baimbury, Castleton, Wothenham, and Lewster.  Other realms I have on my
world have different cultures though, so I have names like Abrinske,
Dodusta, Maxis Hoc, Al-Rahan, etc. etc.

When I have a writer's-naming-block, I usually look to a good foreign
language dictionary (I often start with German, as my MOC Castle names
indicate).  I look for two words that in some way describe or symbolize the
place being named, and then form them together (modifying slightly for what
sounds good) into one word.

Cheerio,
-Hendo