 Castle / 12431
Re: What's in a name, anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:38:36 GMT

im personally a big fan of maps, maps, and maps.  I'd check out a map of
medieval europe, middle east, and central asia.  Those are the areas i
personally like best.  id also get a big version of Tolkien's Middle Earth for
naming solutions; i know tolkien has been a huge influence on my naming (altho
waining at the moment).

i also learn about alot of names by playing Civilization (i, ii, or iii), since
they suggest names of various nationalities everytime you build a new city.  it
helps get a feel of different sounding names that have a ring of actuality to
them.

-lenny

In lugnet.castle, Dave Amos writes:
Hello hello!  Ive been thinking long and hard for medieval names for towns,
cities and villages.  Unfortunately, I seem to be having
city-name-writers-block!  I tend to get some ideas from ancient Greece and
Star Wars planet names, but those'll only carry someone so far. :)

Anyone want to suggest names that they particularly like but wouldnt mind
putting into the public record?  The more creative the better!  I think that
names with a ' in it are interesting, such as Blut'ader (I think I spelled
it correctly!)  But I also like the flow of more traditional names.  What do
others think about this subject?  Where do you all get your inspirations?

Cheers,
Dave