 Castle / 12459
Re: What's in a name, anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:42:14 GMT

i've taken a lil time to get a listing of castle sites, but not with the detail
you suggest (i haven't taken the time to do it yet), but it would be something
good to do.

http://www.lugnet.com/~1168/websites/

The problem with CastleWorld's list is that it is totally reserved for members
of cw.  That means anyone who doesn't want to or just hasn't got off their lazy
rears won't be on there.

In theory I think it is a great idea.

Problems that I forsee: (just cause.. no reason)
-broken links, etc.  it would take time to continually check all links and
make sure the sites are still up or at the correct address.  That seems kinda
obvious, but it is also a serious pain.
-sites that are 'half-way' castle.  like adrian's site has some stories (the
kobayashi's and another with that guy and his girlfriend.. the name escapes me)
but is also a storehouse for a great number of other styles of building.  so
essentially they have stories but no detailed world.  While at the same time
there are sites with detailed world, but no stories yet.  How do you make the
distinction, or should you? (you in the figurative sense, not you personally).

thats all my thoughts for now.
peace
-lenny

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:
Hi Tony et al,

I do like what the Castle World site has (and have considered joining on the
condition that I ever get some better pics to post), but when I browse there
it seems to be a collection of everyone's things mixed in no certain order
other than catagory (Structure, Characters, etc.).  What I was suggesting
was more a list of individual worlds and their creators.  Granted, such a
list could link to a person's ideas within the Castle World site.

As an example, when I currently browse the site for characters, I see a list
of characters, but until I drill down into each one, I have no idea which
characters come from which creator/world.  (Then if I see a character who
seems interesting but want to research his homeland, I have to bounce back
to the main site and look for that in a different area.)  What if I was
interested in just one person's world at a time?  Is there a way to filter
for just one?  To see just the characters and stories of one creator at a
time?  Maybe even a summary of each given creators' world?

Not trying to knock the efforts of Castle World thus far; just asking if
more could be done...

-Hendo

In lugnet.castle, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:
Now I have a question that perhaps I should know the answer to already (but
don't)...  This thread (and others) suggests that a great many of us have
deep and creative fictional worlds linked to our Lego hobby.  Is there a
single reference somewhere online that lists and links to all these worlds?

The castle folks, much more so than the other theme fans (ie space and
town), tend to develop characters and storylines to go along with their
creations.

Check out the Castle World website:
http://www.geocities.com/castle_world_temp/index.html

And the related lugnet newsgroup: