 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1451
Re: Excellent rendering...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:36:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing writes:
"Trond Hasse Lie" wrote...
If you take a look at http://www.nikclark.com/BRAZIL/2002/lego1.jpg you'll
see a great raytrace of a Formula 1 car....

Yes, truly amazing!
But now have a look at what POV can do...
("with a little help from my fiends" :-)
By Kari Kivisalo
http://luxlab.com/tmp/lego.jpg
Without radiosity and depth of field:
http://luxlab.com/tmp/lego_norad.jpg

Wow!
Like Jonathan said: POV-Ray has nothing to envy to Brazil, when it comes to
quality.

All it really needs is some way to adjust things like the reflectivity of
the tires-- they're kinda shiny, which shows off the splines, unlike the
rendering with Brazil... The only giveaway on the Brazil model I could spot
right off was the splines on the rounded front spoiler bits (which is fixed
in the POV render, but that's the model's fault, not the ray tracer)...
Apart from that, probably just the surfacing on the sloped elements remains
as a clue to being rendered... (but that's on both renders, obviously)

DaveE