 CAD / Development / 9552

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:03:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
The data contained in either environment variables or ini files
should have exactly the same format.

I agree, and prefer <> around all tags.

Quotation marks should not be necessay if we use the < >.

You are right but I still would allow them for the rare case of
blanks at the end of a directory name.

Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

Ah, but what about leading blanks.  ;^)  Nevermind, I don't think you
can create an absolute path that starts with leading blanks.

I'm almost done writing the library and the LDrawSetup application.
I want the library to be as simple as possible to use.
Reading the env vars and ini files is platform independent,
only the hunt for ini files goes into #ifdef's.

I think having ldraw.ini in LDRAWDIR is contradictory, the hen and
egg problem.  To keep thing simple I would like to have only *one*
ldraw.ini, and since we're going to have it in
HOME/USERPROFILE/windir anyway to find the LDRAWDIR, I don't see any
reason to spread it out.

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%windir%\ldraw.ini

But wait.  The reason given for looking in LDRAWDIR is for a central
networked LDRAW installation at a school.  It'd be nice to have a
default ldraw.ini file at the central location that can be overridden
by one in a users home directory.  This doesn't work for that scenario
because %WINDIR% is on the client PC, not on the server.  However, you
still have the chicken/egg problem because you need an LDRAWDIR
setting somewhere on the client to find the LDRAWDIR on the server.
You can however limit the number of chickens by making LDRAWDIR the
only setting required to be set on the client pc.

Or are you promoting LDRAWINI as the one and only setting required to
be on the client?  Should we depreciate the LDRAWDIR environment
variable since it can be set in the file found by the LDRAWINI hunt?
I don't like this.  I think we can use LDRAWDIR if we're clever.

On windows the envronment variables are global.  You don't get a
personal login script to set your own, so I'd look in USERPROFILE
first.  Now an administrator can set the %LDRAWDIR% variable in the
\\PDC\netlogin\login.bat script for all users on an NT style domain.
That solves the chicken/egg problem for the centralized Windows
scenario and eliminates any need for an LDRAWINI variable.

So, how about this search strategy?

Windows:
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%LDRAWDIR%\ldraw.ini
%WINDIR%\ldraw.ini

Unix:
$HOME/.ldrawrc
$HOME/ldraw.ini
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini
/etc/ldraw.ini

Mac OS X:
~/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini  (I'm not sure about this one)

Obviously if you don't have LDRAWDIR set by an environment variable
you'll have to skip the step that looks in the LDRAWDIR.

Enjoy,

Don

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
But wait.  The reason given for looking in LDRAWDIR is for a central
networked LDRAW installation at a school.  It'd be nice to have a
default ldraw.ini file at the central location that can be overridden
by one in a users home directory.

Oh yeah.  One other thing about an ldraw.ini located on a central server.
I'd prefer to leave the client OS up to the user.  This reinforces my case
for the <LDRAWDIR>parts path format without the nasty OS specific slash
character.

Enjoy,

Don

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Oh yeah.  One other thing about an ldraw.ini located on a central server.
I'd prefer to leave the client OS up to the user.  This reinforces my case
for the <LDRAWDIR>parts path format without the nasty OS specific slash
character.

It's no problem handling the \ or /'s.
We do that all the time already in our parts referencing e.g. S\3039S01.DAT,
we do manage to find the subpart on unix too :-)

My library reads env vars and ini files in any format
and converts it to the format used on the platform it is running.
/Lars

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
The data contained in either environment variables or ini files
should have exactly the same format.

I agree, and prefer <> around all tags.

Ok, agreed too. So with have <HIDE> and optionally <SHOW> - right?

Quotation marks should not be necessay if we use the < >.

You are right but I still would allow them for the rare case of
blanks at the end of a directory name.

Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

Ah, but what about leading blanks.  ;^)  Nevermind, I don't think you
can create an absolute path that starts with leading blanks.

I would still like the quotation marks as an option - not a must. If a user
uses them fine, if not also fine - if there is a problem with blanks or tabs
the user can still use quotation marks.

<SNIP>
So, how about this search strategy?

Windows:
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%LDRAWDIR%\ldraw.ini
%WINDIR%\ldraw.ini

That would be a perfect way I guess. MLCad also allows to let the user
specify the ldraw dir manualy in a dialog. I could imagine having this
option as an emergency solution if no ldraw dir can be found.

Unix:
$HOME/.ldrawrc
$HOME/ldraw.ini
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini
/etc/ldraw.ini

Mac OS X:
~/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini  (I'm not sure about this one)

no idea about Mac's but unix looks good.

Obviously if you don't have LDRAWDIR set by an environment variable
you'll have to skip the step that looks in the LDRAWDIR.

Or open a dialog to ask the user for this path once, my feeling is if the
user didn't setup the variable - the user will not modify the ldraw.ini file
either - at least that is what I learned from houndreds of support requests
from MLCad users.

Michael

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:
I agree, and prefer <> around all tags.

Ok, agreed too. So with have <HIDE> and optionally <SHOW> - right?

Sure.

Quotation marks should not be necessay if we use the < >.

You are right but I still would allow them for the rare case of
blanks at the end of a directory name.

Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

Ah, but what about leading blanks.  ;^)  Nevermind, I don't think you
can create an absolute path that starts with leading blanks.

I would still like the quotation marks as an option - not a must. If a user
uses them fine, if not also fine - if there is a problem with blanks or tabs
the user can still use quotation marks.

OK.

<SNIP>
So, how about this search strategy?

Windows:
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%LDRAWDIR%\ldraw.ini
%WINDIR%\ldraw.ini

That would be a perfect way I guess. MLCad also allows to let the user
specify the ldraw dir manualy in a dialog. I could imagine having this
option as an emergency solution if no ldraw dir can be found.

Fine.

Or open a dialog to ask the user for this path once, my feeling is if the
user didn't setup the variable - the user will not modify the ldraw.ini file
either - at least that is what I learned from houndreds of support requests
from MLCad users.

I think so too.
Users will also have the option to use the new app LDrawSetup,
which can setup LDrawDir, SearchDirs, LgeoDirectory, MIME-types.
/Lars

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

Ah, but what about leading blanks.  ;^)  Nevermind, I don't think you
can create an absolute path that starts with leading blanks.

No, but leading blanks would be preserved as well...

I think having ldraw.ini in LDRAWDIR is contradictory, the hen and
egg problem.  To keep thing simple I would like to have only *one*
ldraw.ini, and since we're going to have it in
HOME/USERPROFILE/windir anyway to find the LDRAWDIR, I don't see any
reason to spread it out.

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%windir%\ldraw.ini

But wait.  The reason given for looking in LDRAWDIR is for a central
networked LDRAW installation at a school.  It'd be nice to have a
default ldraw.ini file at the central location that can be overridden
by one in a users home directory.

Isn't that what %ALLUSERSPROFILE% is for?

Or are you promoting LDRAWINI as the one and only setting required to
be on the client?  Should we depreciate the LDRAWDIR environment
variable since it can be set in the file found by the LDRAWINI hunt?
I don't like this.  I think we can use LDRAWDIR if we're clever.

LDRAWINI is just an opportunity for quickly temporarily using another
specific ldraw.ini file.
/Lars

[...]

I'm logged onto an NT domain right now at work and it's set to this:

  ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

That's on the local drive.  But I suppose you're right, a competent
administrator could set it up somewhere on the network.  What does a
typical networked Windows installation look like?  My USERPROFILE
and ALLUSERSPROFILE are on the C drive, but the "My Documents" folder
on the start menu is mapped to a location on the network via the
"%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Shortcut to My Documents.lnk" file.  I suspect
the admins created that lnk via the login script, but I'm not positive.

LDRAWINI is just an opportunity for quickly temporarily using another
specific ldraw.ini file.

I don't think I'll ever use it because it confuses me.  If you have
both LDRAWDIR and LDRAWINI environment variables set, which setting
do you use to determine the LDRAWDIR: the LDRAWDIR environment var,
or the BaseDirectory setting in $LDRAWINI/ldraw.ini?  If you have a
particularly evil Windows administrator who points both LDRAWINI and
LDRAWDIR to his undesireable parts directories, how does the poor
Windows user go about overriding it?

Don

[...]

Seems to me programs need the ability to specify the LDRAWINI directory (and
possibly LDRAWDIR) on the command line, for non-standard setups.

Maybe the library needs an Ldraw-specific getopt[1] function as well.

ROSCO

[1] http://www.rt.com/man/getopt.3.html

Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths