 CAD / Development / 9561
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:29:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
I think having ldraw.ini in LDRAWDIR is contradictory, the hen and
egg problem.  To keep thing simple I would like to have only *one*
ldraw.ini, and since we're going to have it in
HOME/USERPROFILE/windir anyway to find the LDRAWDIR, I don't see any
reason to spread it out.

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%windir%\ldraw.ini

But wait.  The reason given for looking in LDRAWDIR is for a central
networked LDRAW installation at a school.  It'd be nice to have a
default ldraw.ini file at the central location that can be overridden
by one in a users home directory.

Isn't that what %ALLUSERSPROFILE% is for?

I'm logged onto an NT domain right now at work and it's set to this:

  ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

That's on the local drive.  But I suppose you're right, a competent
administrator could set it up somewhere on the network.  What does a
typical networked Windows installation look like?  My USERPROFILE
and ALLUSERSPROFILE are on the C drive, but the "My Documents" folder
on the start menu is mapped to a location on the network via the
"%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Shortcut to My Documents.lnk" file.  I suspect
the admins created that lnk via the login script, but I'm not positive.

LDRAWINI is just an opportunity for quickly temporarily using another
specific ldraw.ini file.

I don't think I'll ever use it because it confuses me.  If you have
both LDRAWDIR and LDRAWINI environment variables set, which setting
do you use to determine the LDRAWDIR: the LDRAWDIR environment var,
or the BaseDirectory setting in $LDRAWINI/ldraw.ini?  If you have a
particularly evil Windows administrator who points both LDRAWINI and
LDRAWDIR to his undesireable parts directories, how does the poor
Windows user go about overriding it?

Don